Anti-frost washer fluid in the coolant reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nicola.dinisio
Very good and interesting info here.
My anti-frost was from Aral, the gas station chain brand.
It is a concentrate formula, I do not know what's exactly inside, but a test found that it is very gentle on plastic and rubber materials, as well as on the body painting.

http://www.autobild.de/bilder/winter...189.html#bild5

I hope that even the few milliliters that might have gone around in the circuit are not going to cause a problem to the cooling system seal.
You're probably fine and likely got most of it, if not all of it. I wouldn't worry too much, just watch closely. If you do get it flushed out, best to do it somewhere that isn't the dealership and not mention it. Could void your warranty coverage on the engine for using unapproved fluids.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:13 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

If you're really worried take it to Goodyear, Pep Boys etc. and have it flushed. It should run about $125 or so and if you use one of their on-line coupons you'll save a few bucks.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Fullslp
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
If you're really worried take it to Goodyear, Pep Boys etc. and have it flushed. It should run about $125 or so and if you use one of their on-line coupons you'll save a few bucks.
Haha, wonder how many PepBoys there are in Germany haha that's a good one. Besides you should be more worried about taking your vehicle in for service at either of those places than the miniscule chance of drying out a water pump seal or whatever with adding such a small amount of washer fluid to your coolant. Don't lose any sleep bro...

Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Me too

I did the same thing to mine when it was nearly new.

If anyone from Dodge is reading this, could we suggest that the marking on the tanks, while yes it's obvious if you look at the two long enough, are not differentiated well enough. Garages are dim, people are in a hurry, and it seems that a lot of people make the mistake. In this vehicle, the icons are very similar between the two tanks, and the placement is also such that it's easy to goof it up. Honda, for example, uses a blue cap which helps identify the "blue fluid" location.

I figured it out as soon as I did it, drove it a few miles and had a mechanic siphon it out. Never had a problem related to it. The coolant finally did get flushed at 40,000 miles for the cylinder head defect.

Steve

Old 02-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Haha, wonder how many PepBoys there are in Germany haha that's a good one. Besides you should be more worried about taking your vehicle in for service at either of those places than the miniscule chance of drying out a water pump seal or whatever with adding such a small amount of washer fluid to your coolant. Don't lose any sleep bro...

Oops. Neglected to remember he was in Germany. In which case he can take his Durango to Ein errötender Motorkühlmittel-Dienst, or some similar place. :-) or Der VasserKuhlant GreisnMonkiMench. :-)

Quick Reply: Anti-frost washer fluid in the coolant reservoir