3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Prospective buyer question: Hemi exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:46 AM
RedHotFuzz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GotRPM
A search will reveal that some R/T owners have installed roof racks...
Yeah, that's the very first thing I searched for when I found this forum. It seems like a daunting undertaking. I was hoping one could order the factory rails and have the dealer install, but it sounds like the dealers won't even touch the job as it's so impractical to do.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't, if you use a roof rack a lot the RT isn't a fit.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz
Yeah, that's the very first thing I searched for when I found this forum. It seems like a daunting undertaking. I was hoping one could order the factory rails and have the dealer install, but it sounds like the dealers won't even touch the job as it's so impractical to do.
Get one of these instead:

http://www.stowaway2.com

Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 PM
RedHotFuzz
Amateur

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Get one of these instead:

http://www.stowaway2.com
Yeah, I was looking at that as an alternative. Definitely easier to load and unload. And getting the Skybox up on my Pilot and locked down is a major PITA. Maybe the lack of roof rails is a good thing after all.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:41 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Yeah, I was looking at that as an alternative. Definitely easier to load and unload. And getting the Skybox up on my Pilot and locked down is a major PITA. Maybe the lack of roof rails is a good thing after all.
Roof carriers are smaller, can't fit as much in them, a pain the the *** to load and unload, and no matter how sleek they are, they still create drag and hurt mpgs. The hitch carrier solves all of that. It's literally better in every way.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM
RedHotFuzz
Amateur

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Roof carriers are smaller, can't fit as much in them, a pain the the *** to load and unload, and no matter how sleek they are, they still create drag and hurt mpgs. The hitch carrier solves all of that. It's literally better in every way.
You're right about everything but capacity. My Skybox holds 18 cu ft and it's not the largest model. That said, it's difficult to load it to capacity anyway. The hitch-mount boxes I've looked at so far hold less, but it's probably worth the convenience.

I do have the option of getting some rails installed by the local RacknRoad. They told me they do this stuff all the time. It wouldn't be cheap, and I'd have to wait until my lease is up and purchase the vehicle, but at least I now know if I get a vehicle without roof rails I'm not necessarily stuck that way in the long term.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

You're right about everything but capacity. My Skybox holds 18 cu ft and it's not the largest model. That said, it's difficult to load it to capacity anyway. The hitch-mount boxes I've looked at so far hold less, but it's probably worth the convenience.

I do have the option of getting some rails installed by the local RacknRoad. They told me they do this stuff all the time. It wouldn't be cheap, and I'd have to wait until my lease is up and purchase the vehicle, but at least I now know if I get a vehicle without roof rails I'm not necessarily stuck that way in the long term.

A Thule hitch mounted carrier should solve your cargo concerns.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Rammajama
Rookie

If you want a sweet exhaust sound, just have a muffler shop cut out the stock muffler and install a 14" Magnaflow and enjoy.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Rammajama
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeRT13

That is nice!!

Old 02-08-2015, 10:21 AM
RedHotFuzz
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeRT13

Bonus: my detail guy won't destroy it pulling it into his garage (his $150 detail turned into a $500 cargo box replacement for him).

Quick Reply: Prospective buyer question: Hemi exhaust