Prospective buyer question: Hemi exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:32 PM
RedHotFuzz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective buyer question: Hemi exhaust

Hi all,

First-time-ever prospective Dodge buyer. I haven't had a domestic auto since my '77 Camaro in high school (can Dodge still be considered "domestic?"). It's time to replace my reliable-but-boring 2004 Honda Pilot. The 3-row segment has really exploded since the time I bought my Pilot, when it was the only reasonable choice for me. The Durango has seriously caught my eye. Seems to check all the right boxes, as they say.

I have no need for V8 capability yet am drawn to the V8 rumble and on-tap power. The rational choice for me is the V6. However, I'm seriously considering being irrational this time around.

Regarding that ever-coveted V8 exhaust rumble: would the Hemi in a Limited sound the same as the Hemi in an R/T? Or does the R/T have extra exhaust bits to give it a sportier/throatier sound? I don't want an R/T, but I do want that sweet exhaust rumble.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R/T does have a different Exhaust, so the Limited does sound different. There are many after market companies now that offer just as good if not better sounding exhaust as the R/T. I say you buy the model you want, listen to sound clips and read the forums then throw some exhaust on it and you will be a happy man. No matter how much gas is per gallon, I still get a big ole smile when I step on the loud pedal and listen to that V-8 do some work!

Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
nicola.dinisio
Rookie

Be irrational, you only live once
I can see on my 2011 DD, that some parts are from Mexico (e.g. windows) and I think many others. The engine, at least the Pentastar, is produced in Trenton (NJ). The vehicle is assembled in Detroit. I would say it qualifies as "domestic" for a US buyer.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Depends on your commute. Reaching 21-22mpg (v8) on the freeway was unheard of 10 years ago in a 5300lb vehicle that can wear so many hats. Lots of around town driving will yield full size truck mileage but if your like me and put on highway mileage get the v8. You won't regret it.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:03 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Mine. Stock. R/T.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=d1B_KIlX-2o

Old 02-03-2015, 07:05 AM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

(can Dodge still be considered "domestic?")....I don't want an R/T, but I do want that sweet exhaust rumble.
Can the Honda Pilot be considered an import (it's made in Alabama)?

Not sure why you don't want an R/T, it is a step above the SXT and just a bit below a Citadel in trim. Looks better with no roof rack (IMO) and it handles better. I've had mine for two years and love it. Oh, and the exhaust is awesome.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Wash Man
All Star

I traded in a. Pilot for my R/T

Do it

Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Wash Man
All Star

Just listen to my sound clips in the Goodbye suitcase thread.....you'll be hooked

Old 02-04-2015, 01:35 AM
RedHotFuzz
Amateur

Originally Posted by GotRPM
Can the Honda Pilot be considered an import (it's made in Alabama)?
I personally go by the nationality of the corporate owner. Not sure what the rules are, but to me Honda is Japanese, no matter where the factory is.

Originally Posted by GotRPM
Not sure why you don't want an R/T, it is a step above the SXT and just a bit below a Citadel in trim. Looks better with no roof rack (IMO) and it handles better. I've had mine for two years and love it. Oh, and the exhaust is awesome.
I would love an R/T, but the deleted roof rails are a deal breaker for me. We actually hit the mountains, and the rooftop cargo box carries a lot of the camping equipment. A serious bummer you can't get an R/T with roof rails (it is an SUV, after all).

Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 AM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

A search will reveal that some R/T owners have installed roof racks...

Quick Reply: Prospective buyer question: Hemi exhaust