3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Custom Dead Pedal MOCKUP photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:37 AM
MotorMolarDoc
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Dead Pedal MOCKUP photos

OK guys, here are pic's of the MOCK UP. This is NOT the final piece. The rubber insert is cobbled together from cutting up rubber inserts from his other pedals. The large rubber pad at the lower corner is just electrical tape, as none of his current ones have anything like that. First pic is of it in place. It looks great with the other pedals! It is held in place by a large strip of velcro. Our carpet is such short nap, that it's not gripping all that well.

Not sure anything to be done about that, unless there is another type of velcro he can find. Most all dead pedals I've ever seen are screwed down through the floor, but I'm not crazy about that. I'm going to suggest he NOT put screw holes. Those of you who plan to leave this in place may try the velcro for a while, or even glue down with construction adhesive or black silicone, instead of screws. This leaves it flexible to your choice. Once the screw holes are in there, there in there. Easy to add later if you want.
The second photo is of the stock carpet mat in place. The third is with my OEM Durango slush mat over the top. It seems to sit over it well. I don't have access to WeatherTech or Husky mats, but suspect it should be fine, as it is not really bulky.

I doubt I will ever take the dead pedal out once it's installed, so I may just glue it. Not sure yet. It has a small lip (1/4 inch?) on the R side where the stainless is bent over to protect the carpet edge. The rubber nubs come up through the back side and in the final version will be one piece, glued into the back of the metal. The finish of the metal matches our Mopar bright pedals very well.

As far as I'm concerned, it's ready to go to production. Please post any comments or concerns in the next few days. I had it in my rig all day yesterday doing various errands, and I liked having the pedal there, plus it just looks cool. Anyway, I'll be contacting him with feedback early next week so he can get started on production. I'll post the link to his EBay store for the pedal once it's in production. To be clear, I am not connected to this financially in any way. Just wanted a dead pedal, and this guy offered to work on it if I sent him measurements and offered suggestions. Lots of guys on the other Durango Forum (DD.net) have already said they are "in" once it's ready, so I'm posting here too, now that mock up photos are done.

Stay tuned. It's been fun being involved in creating a custom piece for our rigs. Again, I'm not part of the business side of this. I just reached out to him on EBay when I saw him list something close to what we need, and he offered to do a custom one for us if there was enough interest. If you want one, in the $45-50 range, Respond to this thread now, as it will help him know how many to make for the initial run. It's coming from Australia, but luckily it is fairly small, so shipping isn't bad. I got the mock up 2 weeks after he sent it out. The final WILL look better than this, with the proper rubber nub on the LR corner.

In place on bare carpet

With OEM carpet mat in place

With OEM slush mat in place

Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 PM
djv154
Amateur

looks awesome, I would love that

Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM
cwilliamt
Amateur

Give industrial (or high performance) velcro a go...it comes in nice 2" wide strips from your average Box Store (H depot, Lowes etc...)...I've found the industrial type to be a little more aggressive on the "hook" portion of the velcro...in addition to a nice aggressive adhesive on the back of the pieces. Once you have it on the dead pedal...wiggle it, and push while applying the pedal onto the carpet...it should grab fine on the short nap. (and will almost be like a permanent install).

Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 AM
MotorMolarDoc
Amateur
Default In production

It's going to be great. He has sent the custom rubber pieces off to be moulded, which will take a few weeks. He will then put them together with the stainless piece and begin shipping the first ones out. Stay tuned..
Stuart

Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks cool. I hope he can find a way to keep it attached to the carpet. The price is a bit high -- I was thinking more like $30.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:30 AM
MotorMolarDoc
Amateur

Originally Posted by cwilliamt
Give industrial (or high performance) velcro a go...it comes in nice 2" wide strips from your average Box Store (H depot, Lowes etc...)...I've found the industrial type to be a little more aggressive on the "hook" portion of the velcro...in addition to a nice aggressive adhesive on the back of the pieces. Once you have it on the dead pedal...wiggle it, and push while applying the pedal onto the carpet...it should grab fine on the short nap. (and will almost be like a permanent install).
He's located in Australia, but I'm sure he has access to that, thanks. The mockup does have 2 inch Velcro, but not convinced it was industrial. He'll get it figured out soon.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:50 PM
MotorMolarDoc
Amateur

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
Looks cool. I hope he can find a way to keep it attached to the carpet. The price is a bit high -- I was thinking more like $30.
Well, keep in mind that this is a custom piece, not a modification of one he already makes. That involves having a custom mold machined so he can have the rubber nub insert sheets made, plus the machining of the stainless part, plus shipping from Australia...plus a reasonable profit for him. I sure wouldn't be able to make one myself that would look anything near this good, so it seems reasonable to me. To each his own though. When he's done with them, I'll be paying for #1 to be shipped to me. I snap photos and post, along with his EBay info for anyone who is interested.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:21 AM
LCF
Professional

Looks awesome!
I have ordered and installed the ones on the brake and gas pedals and i would love to get the rest two. Can you tell me where can i order them?

Quick Reply: Custom Dead Pedal MOCKUP photos