3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Weird Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM
J6L
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by my dealer that unless you had work done to your moonroof don't worry about the sun visor recall. I don't know how accurate that statement was but I certainly don't want my car to catch fire, especially if my wife is driving it at the time. Maybe we should all be privy to the SC dealership that serviced your vehicle so we DON'T GO THERE. Very sloppy service and repair to say the least. This now needs to be handled above the dealer level IMO. Good Luck, and glad to hear no one got hurt after that serious incident.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Involve dodge right away. Don't let the dealer be the only party addressing this, and I would have it towed to a different dealer at this point.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by J6L
I was told by my dealer that unless you had work done to your moonroof don't worry about the sun visor recall. .

No, that's not accurate. Wiring harnesses can and will move over time. They will shrink, lengthen, expand, contract, ect all the while rubbing whatever they happen to be contacting while this movement is going on. Sort of similar to those rocks that walk across the desert floor.

The manner in which the wiring is routed through the headliner holes where the visors mount is nothing short of stupid. The recall isn't much more intelligent.

Over the past couple years, and before the recall, I have repaired several that had wiped out the cluster, the steering control module. None burned as of yet though. Most of them were rentals and we just assumed the car had hail dents or something fixed and the installer screwed up. That's how sorry it is.

Originally Posted by hellomoto_25
Very interested to see how this unfolds now.

Call me crazy but doesn't this sound like the recall? How could they say it wasn't related now?

Crow would seem to be on the menu for that service department now. ��

Chrysler pays chit money for people to do warranty and recall work. My guess is they had an inexperienced tech do it who probably does most of the recalls, because no self respecting Master Technician is going to take it up the wazzu voluntarily. However, there should have been a shop foreman or service manager doing damage control and QC on the first comeback where it killed the steering module.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-29-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Dude what a clusterfluff! TNTECH, are there any other symptoms related to the sun visor short that haven't been discussed? Like what else is this sucker wired to. Really wanting to avoid this recall or just tear it out and rewire myself.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The recall CAN be done right. This just looks like a case of someone knowing they were losing money and rushed it.

Really, you could have so many different and mixed symptoms seeing how the cluster operates so many things.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:56 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Well, after a long five week journey, we're finally rid of the old Durango, and took delivery of a brand new 2015 Citadel yesterday evening.

Chrysler ended up doing an investigation into the fire, and offered to pay for the cost of repair, and a rental during the repair process. They wouldn't offer anything else in the way of compensation directly to us (not a shock, really, but we had to try).

I then took it upon myself to get in touch with the head honcho at the dealership itself, and stalked him until he would have a face to face with me. Prior to that, when I couldn't get him to call me back, I blasted an explanation email out to a bunch of people, including the GM's presumed email address, and that finally got me on the radar, since I got an immediate call back shortly thereafter. Once the meeting finally happened, they agreed to work with us to get us out of the old car. My wife was terrified of the old Durango at that point, and she wouldn't have willingly ever driven it again, so it wasn't worth it to keep it any longer. Unfortunately, we were still about 3k under water on the loan compared to the fair market trade in value (16k KBB vs 19.2k outstanding loan), since we didn't have any intentions of trading it in prior to the fire. Fortunately though, the dealer agreed to work with us, and they gave us 21k for the trade-in, plus the additional 750 rebate.

All in all, not a terrible end to a terrible initial situation. We didn't make it out with a steal by any means, but we feel we got a fair deal out of a ****ty situation, so we're counting this as a win.

Even though I was pushing for a new R/T (same price), she was dead set on the Citadel for the ventilated seats. Even so, I'm loving the new car, even if all the chrome bits aren't my favorite style choice. But...Happy wife...happy life!

Old 05-09-2015, 02:41 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Glad you got that sorted out to your wife's satisfaction. Please don't ever go back there for service or recall work.

Quick Reply: Weird Electrical Problems