3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Weird Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Electrical Problems

So, I'm having some strange electrical related issues popping up in the Durango. The overhead "map" lights (all of the lights on the center ceiling console) don't work, and the drivers side visor mirror light doesn't work. The passenger side visor mirror light is working, but extremely dim. And now, all of the steering wheel controls, except for cruise control buttons, do not work at all. Each of these items stopped working at different times, not all at once.

This may be a coincidence, or be the cause, but about two weeks ago we took the D into the dealer to have ultiple recalls repaired. Two of them electrical related - TIPM fix and the vanity mirror light rewire recall.

Any ideas? Is there a common fuse(s) that these all work from perhaps? Or should I just take it back to the dealer?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by 03neonRT; 03-16-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose wire --loose ground wire

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The wire to the sun visor has a screw pushed into the signal wire. There is a recall related to this on the 2012. The cluster is the driver for those interior lamps and if that wire is shorted to ground it can make the interior functions go crazy. I've also seen the side lamps above the rear doors have a short also. Whoever designed that wiring loop through the headliner had a serious blonde moment.

Go back to the dealer. Make sure they check all the cluster fuses before they let you leave too. The fuse it typically blows powers the steering control module too.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-16-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take that sucker back to the dealer ASAP. They messed something up. I like to work on my car on my own just like the next guy, but electrical issues are a major PIA, especially when work was recently done and you don't know what they did or didn't do exactly.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm sorry, it's P36 Recall. 2011 WAS included. My bad.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:59 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

03neonRT,

As others have said, I definitely recommend taking your vehicle back into the dealership for a formal diagnosis.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Alright, took the Durango into the dealer this morning, and they reported that the visor and dome lights were due to a pinched wire and ground caused during the recall repair.

However, they said they think the steering wheel controls stopped working because the "steering wheel control module" kicked the bucket, and it was just coincidental that it happened at the same time. They're keeping it overnight so they'll have additional time to offer a full diagnosis.

Just a quick glance through All Data, I assume they're talking about the "Steering Mounted Controls Communication Module" or "Steering Column Control Module". Looks like, at minimum, a shade tree repair would involve removing the steering wheel and drivers airbag, which I've never been entirely comfortable with (always been an engine guy, myself), so I might just leave this one to the dealer...

Last edited by 03neonRT; 03-23-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Fuse M20 15 amp

Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Dealer called me this morning to confirm that the Steering Column Control Module is dead. Total cost, including parts and labor, is going to be $660+tax to get it replaced.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 03neonRT
Dealer called me this morning to confirm that the Steering Column Control Module is dead. Total cost, including parts and labor, is going to be $660+tax to get it replaced.

The Cluster circuit that is shorted when the visor outputs are shorted is the power feed for the steering control module also. You're lucky they didn't kill your cluster too.

DO NOT pay them to fix that before you fight them on it, because someone half-assed the visor recall...
Originally Posted by 03neonRT
took the Durango into the dealer this morning, and they reported that the visor and dome lights were due to a pinched wire and ground caused during the recall repair.

..which is wired stupid anyway, but still.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-24-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird Electrical Problems