Port the Sub !

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:55 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port the Sub !

Yes,
That's right. I did this before with a stock Deck mounted Subwoofer by adding a 3" port to the deck, extending it down into the truck. Awesome increase in the boom. I figured why wouldn't that make a difference in this Sub. I drilled the hole and didn't hear much difference, but when I created a smaller, 2" Port, 9" long (haha), the results were awesome. Running Bonfire, Bluetooth off my IPhone, I was now vibrating the outside side view mirrors. Tested PitBull, Rihanna, all had great base.

I bought a nice 3" professional port, that I will terminate next to the ALPINE logo. It will extend down into the Sub enclosure, and I'll seal it up with Silicon or whatever I find at Lowes. Should look very cool too. I'll post pics of the finished product.

Just thought I'd post my results, since there were so many post on here that the low end is lacking....it's not the Subs fault...it's buried ! Bring that sound into the cabin with a PORT.

Last edited by plasmageorge; 03-18-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM
14maxr/t
Rookie

That is a good idea. How does it sound with the cargo lid down? I replaced my factory sub and added an amp and it still is not mind blowing. Just might try this. How long is the port? Is it 3 inches or is that the diameter?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

So you just drilled 3" hole in the sub box
STEVE

Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM
plasmageorge
Rookie

No, just a 3" hole actually sounded worse, the Box lost efficiency. Once I tried the "paint roll" port, I was shocked at the sound. I had to buy some PVC and brackets at Lowes, and a nice port off Ebay. I haven't installed, but might try this weekend.

I haven't decided if I'm porting through the carpeted floor (permanent hole, unless I replace the floor section), or leaving that off and just porting through the plastic liner where the ALPINE logo is. With that floor out, you can see the seat mounts etc, it's not as clean, and not flat with a small compartment there, and the jack access. I may try buying a nice small grill with the Alpine badge to go over the port, through the carpeted floor.
I did that for my rear deck port in my old Sonata.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM
14maxr/t
Rookie

How would the sound be if you were to have the port facing down like the sub? Just throwing it out there.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie

Originally Posted by 14maxr/t
How would the sound be if you were to have the port facing down like the sub? Just throwing it out there.
No, you want the Port outlet in the cabin, so you can enjoy the sound !

I just got it mounted and sealed and the more of my Ipod I hear the more it's phenomenal ! Deeper sound and more power, I can actually turn the Base down, which helps improve the sound from the other speakers. I had the Infinity 10" Basslink, and I don't believe that would sound any better, for $200 and losing trunk space.

I'll take pics. Trying to make the finish product look good.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:24 AM
Turborusty
Amateur

I would have faced the port toward the front of the car, if possible. That is where the sub's sound comes from. It basically emanates from below the passenger side, third-row seat.

Turborusty

Old 04-13-2015, 12:55 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Turborusty
I would have faced the port toward the front of the car, if possible. That is where the sub's sound comes from. It basically emanates from below the passenger side, third-row seat.

Turborusty
I don't agree with that. If you look at the picture, or if you ever took apart the very rear (carpet section, then the rubberized well with the ALPINE logo) you'll see the sub is at the very rear towards the tailgate, not under the 3rd row. You can see the back of the 3rd row seat in the picture. Even if you wanted to, I don't think it was possible, with the seat supports, etc.....but it should sound better than stock as long as the outlet is in that 3rd row foot well. The trick was porting it, anyway possible. With the Port facing up, the sound bounces off the tailgate further enhancing the very low frequencies all throughout the cabin. I'll post pics when I have the finished look, right now it's sealed, caulked and painted black....I just need a nice grill for the hole in the carpeting.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Turborusty
Amateur

I understand your idea of porting it into the cabin. That simply won't work for many of us who use it everyday to haul stuff. I don't want to cover the port, or cut holes in the floor panel.

What I was saying about the third row is.....the only open path for the sound coming from the cone of the sub is traveling forward and into the space behind/below the third row seats. The rest of the Alpine cover and what not is sealed off from the interior cabin, so the sound goes to the front. With the third row laid flat, you can lift the little flap that covers the rear seat hinges and see the subwoofer enclosure. That is precisely where I would have put the port. But that's just me personally.

I still agree with trying easy ways to make it work better. Good job. I wasn't telling you that you were doing it wrong, I was just giving my perspective.

Turborusty

Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie

Those are good points, I'll look into that option deeper. It's easy to cover a port, and I haven't done the hole in the Carpet flooring. I think it would look cool have a 4" waffle grill, with the ALPINE logo on the carpet area....since we don't have the ALPINE logo anywhere on the system. The grill will lay pretty flat, so it won't interfere with that area when we pack for the Beach or grocery bags etc.

Quick Reply: Port the Sub !