3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2015 RT Tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Glarensen
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RT Tow Hitch

So, I bought a 15 RT with AWD a few months ago. I didn't get it with the tow package but I might be buying a RV now. 4500 lbs. Can I just go to the dealer and ask that they add a hitch? Anyting else i need to deal with or get? Sorry, completely new to RV and trailer hitches.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:37 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Yup RT already has all the other needed hardware to meet the tow package specs. Already all wired will just need the rear 7/4 way plug and activate it in the computer.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:49 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

there might be some differences for 2015. I can't remember if it was a 2015 WK2 or a WD, but the factory bumper cutout on the 2015 showed that the bumper beam location made it impossible to add the 2014 tow hitch until they came out with a option for 2015.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:51 PM
GDM
Professional
Lightbulb

Too bad dodge doesn't just install the tow package on all durangos. My previous vehicle, the GMC Envoy, had the tow package as standard equipment. Invariably someone wants to tow and then has to go through the process of installing this after the vehicle is built and then likely not have the heavy duty features that come with the tow package. Since this has been a common question on this forum for a long time from those who buy durangos w/o the tow package, I'd suggest anyone buying a Durango should buy one with the tow package from the factory, period. If it does not have it when you shop at the dealer, move on or ask them to locate a vehicle with towing for you. It would help in the resale, and just like many here who thought they would not tow, will eventually do so and be happy they have it. I can not imagine owning an SUV without a tow package. Just saying.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:51 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GDM
Too bad dodge doesn't just install the tow package on all durangos. My previous vehicle, the GMC Envoy, had the tow package as standard equipment. Invariably someone wants to tow and then has to go through the process of installing this after the vehicle is built and then likely not have the heavy duty features that come with the tow package. Since this has been a common question on this forum for a long time from those who buy durangos w/o the tow package, I'd suggest anyone buying a Durango should buy one with the tow package from the factory, period. If it does not have it when you shop at the dealer, move on or ask them to locate a vehicle with towing for you. It would help in the resale, and just like many here who thought they would not tow, will eventually do so and be happy they have it. I can not imagine owning an SUV without a tow package. Just saying.
I agree. I got a tow package on my 2014 R/T. Not used it yet, but I have it just in case. At $400 it was a no brainer to add it.

Although I will say that it may or may not help resale. Used to be a saying to stay away from cars and suvs with a tow package because that may indicate the previous owner towed a bunch and that typically = more engine and Trans abuse.

I wouldn't put the Durango in that category though (especially one with a hemi) as they are equipped to pull a hell of a lot and the tow package ensures that. But it may turn off some uneducated buyers.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMC Envoy, had the tow package as standard equipment

That's odd, it's an option and not standard on Tahoe's and Suburban's

Quick Reply: 2015 RT Tow Hitch