Wife hears noise and feels vibration at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:09 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wife hears noise and feels vibration at low speed

2014 Durango R/T AWD

Wife said today that at low speed, she heard and felt a vibration at low speed in the Durango. Said she could feel it with every revolution of the wheel. She said it's in the front and could feel it in the floor boards. I just took it for a drive and tried all different speeds and probably looked like a prowler on my neighborhood just idling at about 5 mph. Couldn't hear or feel anything in the front of the vehicle. Placed hands, feet, etc ask over trying to feel it. Nothing.

I did, however, notice a slight bumping noise like something is a little loose in the rear of the vehicle, likely left rear. Not like a shock (inspected those anyway and don't see any leakage or anything), but after the initial shock noise after bumps, there's this residual faint thunking noise (but again real faint) that isn't rythmic or anything that stops after a few seconds.

Almost thought it could be the spare tire moving around a little, but that's tight. Maybe the rear hitch cover? Should've removed that and went for a drive. I did park it and pressed down on the rear tail and thought I recreated it ing the left Rear. Again, real faint though.

Any idea on either one of these? Anyone experiencing the same? Didn't find a TSB on point.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

There are a few TSB's for the rear shocks, but they are superceded by one that actually works. I had mine replaced for the same noise you described, still there. I think the latest TSB changes the upper shock mount, have yet to have this done, but heard that it does fix it. Good luck

Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Crankshaft57
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear Shock Service Bulletin #17-002-14 Group: Rear Sup. Date: July 01, 2014. Just had this fix done.

Auggie

Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by Crankshaft57
Rear Shock Service Bulletin #17-002-14 Group: Rear Sup. Date: July 01, 2014. Just had this fix done.

Auggie
Just googled that bulletin. Looks like that's exactly what I heard. And I didn't notice it until it had warmed up. Just like the bulletin said. Sounds like that's the issue. Did you have an R/T though? The bulletin I found just stated it applied to vehicles with certain suspensions. Not sure which suspension the R/T has, but thought it was "sport"

Last edited by mcfarl58; 05-12-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally you said she heard it in the front.

Was she going around a corner while driving slow? Up hill or down hill? all of the listed at once? Did it sound like it was a light grinding or sanding noise? did she feel a puslation on the steering wheel while NOT braking? While braking?

Did she also hear this noise and feel it while driving around 40-50 miles an hour without braking while doing any of the listed above?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
Originally you said she heard it in the front.

Was she going around a corner while driving slow? Up hill or down hill? all of the listed at once? Did it sound like it was a light grinding or sanding noise? did she feel a puslation on the steering wheel while NOT braking? While braking?

Did she also hear this noise and feel it while driving around 40-50 miles an hour without braking while doing any of the listed above?
Right, I think it's two separate issues. Or my wife is just crazy as I didn't notice her issue, only the rear strut mount one. Anyway, her issue was that she felt a vibration in the floor at low speed. It was a parking lot. Not at high speed, flat, smooth ground. Said it felt like it was coming from below. Like something was catching as the wheel turned. Rythmic. Again, I did not note this when I drove it and tried to recreate. Thought it sounded like wheel bearing based on her description, but I didn't hear or feel it at all. And, typically, wheel bearings get louder when you get faster or when you turn a certain way. She reports that this isn't the case. She only noticed it at low speed.

Last edited by mcfarl58; 05-12-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

OK, I am currently awaiting a new front right strut assembly for my 2013 R/T AWD.

I had the noises you listed since owning my truck. I thought it was a bearing, then a mount, but finally after yelling at the dealership and actually making them test my vehicle once again the correct ways with the correct tools, they actually found a noise was coming from the strut and it's assembly.

They claimed like many other things wrong with this and other Durangos that they never had or seen this issue. Well, I have found three other people who have had the same issues and one has the same dealer as me.

Also, I had the rear shock noise just after purchase of the Durango while towing my boat and they did the TSB on it but yet the shocks still make a noise two years later....lol

Old 05-12-2015, 09:15 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

she drive over a tar patch and it stick to tire?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
OK, I am currently awaiting a new front right strut assembly for my 2013 R/T AWD.

I had the noises you listed since owning my truck. I thought it was a bearing, then a mount, but finally after yelling at the dealership and actually making them test my vehicle once again the correct ways with the correct tools, they actually found a noise was coming from the strut and it's assembly.

They claimed like many other things wrong with this and other Durangos that they never had or seen this issue. Well, I have found three other people who have had the same issues and one has the same dealer as me.

Also, I had the rear shock noise just after purchase of the Durango while towing my boat and they did the TSB on it but yet the shocks still make a noise two years later....lol
I have also had the right front strut replaced, it made a horrible creaking sound over large bumps, did it every morning dropping down off the curb when backing out of my driveway.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Crankshaft57
Rookie

Mcfar, I have a Crew but I don't think the shock mounting is any different ??

Anyone ?

Auggie

Quick Reply: Wife hears noise and feels vibration at low speed