3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Stabilus Powerise

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:50 PM
vicpinto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilus Powerise

I have a 2012 Dodge Durango Crew AWD V6 with the power lift gate. The power liftgate goes up but will not stay open so I suspect the strut/s are gone.

My question is geared more towards the Powerise unit. Is there a gas strut inside the unit that can be replaced or do I have to replace the whole unit? Is there a gas strut inside the power unit at all or is it a spring. If not then I suspect the problem is probably the RH side non powered gas strut.

I'm just trying to save some money by not buying parts that are perfectly good. Thanks guys.

Vic

Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, according to the service manual, there is a gas strut on both sides. It appears the strut on the driver's side (in the US) is part of the power arm, not something that can be replaced without replacing the entire strut.

Usually if these struts fail, they leak oil. If only the one on the passenger side is leaking, you might be able to get by with only replacing that one, but it's generally recommended to replace them in pairs.

-Rod

Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM
SammyEliot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vicpinto
My question is geared more towards the Powerise unit. Is there a gas strut inside the unit that can be replaced or do I have to replace the whole unit? Is there a gas strut inside the power unit at all or is it a spring. If not then I suspect the problem is probably the RH side non powered gas strut.

I'm just trying to save some money by not buying parts that are perfectly good. Thanks guys.
Vic
Hey vicpinto,

If you're unsure about parts, which it sounds like you are, then I know a handy supplier site that could help. It has a crazy amount of parts and the coolest bit is that it gives exact measurements and specs relating to a number of vehicle types.

Have a look at the gas struts results page - and put in your Dodge's specs. It should (fingers crossed) present you with the answer pertaining to your car.

Good luck !

Quick Reply: Stabilus Powerise