3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Any reason not to get a Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on buying a lifetime warranty then yes buy it, as your truck will spend more time in the dealership then on your own driveway. The lifetime warranty will also help make your dealership eat the cost of the problems you will continually bring it back for.

Why do I say this?

Because I bought my 2013 R/T brand new with 3 miles on the dial and for the last two years of owning it, it has spent a total of 8 months sitting in the dealer being "Fixed". It currently has 46,000 miles.....and NO, lemon laws are not always good for the consumer as in my state where they get away with selling lemons.

If you buy a new one make sure the dealership has already put in the flashes for the blue smoke issue, a bigger oil pan for the blue smoke issue, even have them install a catch can for the blue smoke issue and excessive oil it collects. Which by the way HAS NOT FIXED the blue smoking issue! Also have them check the struts & shocks before signing as mine were replaced @16,000 miles like some other's have around here, make sure they have even fixed the right passenger side heat / ac duct because that likes to fall out. Also, make sure they have flashed the radio so the radio, seats and the like work well together. I can give you a few more things to check on before you buy it but, you'll have fun finding out the hard way like most of us.

All in all, I like the truck when it is working to pull my 22' boat and sitting on the driveway.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:17 PM
gmcul8r

Since you're coming from an Acadia in Denali trim, I would recommend a 2014+.

We had an Acadia and I personally hated the way it drove. Always had Tahoe's, Suburban's, etc, prior to the Acadia and for an SUV it drove like a front-wheel drive car (It had AWD). I have a '14 R/T and it is an absolute blast to drive for a 3rd row SUV.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:43 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by usmc1811
As others have said. Test drive all of the models of the SUV that you like, new or used.
Be sure to research the reviews on the SUV that your wanting to buy. Be sure to research the dealerships too,no matter what brand of SUV you end up buying. The more
work you are able to do upfront before buying, the less hassles you will have later as the owner.

You nailed it. I've also been looking at dealerships and our local Dodge dealer sucks major. Horrible service in every way. I have confirmed however that we would be able to take our Dodge (if we get it) to the Chrysler dealer and they are better from what I understand.

We've also been check out the Explorers as my wife used to have one and really likes the newer ones (14'-15').

Last edited by BigPoser; 01-21-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by BigPoser
First post! Awesome forum! We currently have a 13' Acadia Denali and it is currently in the shop again. We've had it for two years, got it new, and last week they had to pull the motor in order to change the timing cover gasket.
My Durango was in the shop a month ago for the same thing at 30k miles. But at least that's the only thing it's been in the shop for so far.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you get the lifetime warranty as well, detailsbyfrank? If so, is your Durango experiencing any current concerns?

BigPoser, keep us posted on what you decide!

Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

37000 trouble free miles on our 2013 Hemi Crew. My wife loves the vehicle and drives it daily to work. No blue smoke. We've had the rear shocks replaced under warranty and the passenger outer dash vent did fall out but was fixed under warranty. We bought ours as a dealer demo mostly because it was the only white hemi awd crew with black interior.

We want a new one but we've had such great luck with this one its hard to let it go. Plus the 14+ have had so many problems I would think a 16' would be updated enough to be reliable. I would like to replace it with the 17' Jeep Wagoneer if it ever happens. Our closest dealer is 70 miles away so reliabliity is key.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:28 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Did you get the lifetime warranty as well, detailsbyfrank? If so, is your Durango experiencing any current concerns?

BigPoser, keep us posted on what you decide!

Yes, I did buy the lifetime and yes I have current & ongoing previous issues.

Let us start with the current.

Last year I was getting a grinding noise when driving around corners and slow speeds. Took it in to my home dealership and they could not reproduce. I called Chrysler Copr and they had me take it to another dealership. So I made the 45 mile one way trip and they had the vehicle for two days. They came up with I needed to have a new strut and assembly in the front right. Gave the vehicle back to me while waiting for the parts to come in and I asked if it was safe. They said yes or we would not give it back.....well, on the second day of having it back, my wife drove 75 miles one way to work. On her return trip she heard a noise and a couple minutes later the left rear wheel broke three lug nuts and she drove 25 miles limping along to get it off the highway.

Chrysler REFUSED to tow it to the dealership that was working on it and made me bring it to the home dealership. They were surprised it came off and found no reason other than "maybe" someone left the lugs loose. They replaced the rim and rotor and said it was all fixed.

Well, two weeks ago the same noise and same symptoms had come back. Took it to the home dealership and they said they found nothing wrong except that there was a piece of rust in between the rotor and pad. They removed that and said its all fixed.

Well, IT IS NOT. Still have the faint sound when going around corners and up and down hills. I would gladly bring it back, but we just got snow this past weekend and I am not driving it. I would call them and see what kind of clown show they want to put on about it but when I brought the truck in two weeks ago for the noise I also brought it in for an air bag light being on and since I had to pay an $100.00 deductible for them to plug in my passenger side air bag switch that became unplugged some how I feel they are just trying to screw me. I mean, I could have saved the 100 bucks if they would have been kind enough to say> Mr. Brown, the plug under your seat came out and all you need to do is plug it back in so we do not rip you off!

I cannot stand how I've had this truck three years this June and all I got for the money I dish out is a lemon with 45,600 miles on it, a folder filled with paperwork and also unlimited excuses on how it is not reproducible or not an issue they can find.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:06 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

detailsbyfrank,

Hopefully you have a chance to bring it in again for the noise soon. Keep us posted when you do, or if you'd like me to help you schedule an appointment.

One thing I always like to suggest as well is taking a test drive with someone from the service department so you can specifically point out your concern to them. That way you have the peace of mind of knowing for sure if it could or could not be duplicated.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
detailsbyfrank,

Hopefully you have a chance to bring it in again for the noise soon. Keep us posted when you do, or if you'd like me to help you schedule an appointment.

One thing I always like to suggest as well is taking a test drive with someone from the service department so you can specifically point out your concern to them. That way you have the peace of mind of knowing for sure if it could or could not be duplicated.
Thank you for the standard response. I understand you have a job to hold.
Take some one for a ride.......That's funny. You think I haven't take someone for a ride?

I've taken the Master Mechanic, Shop Foreman, Shop Manager and even the owner of the dealership for rides over the last three years. Even if/ when they have heard the noise several times they cannot come up with any sort of reason why it happens lit alone any sort of solutions for all of the other issues.

They simply take the plausible deniability route and say they are waiting on your Corporation that you work for to fix it.

Truthfully, the only one getting a ride is ME!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:05 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but why do you still own it? If it is such a heart-wrenching and aggravating experience for you, why do you not just cut your losses?

Generalizing the issues you are having with yours to the entire production run seems unfair.

Every mfr. has good builds and bad; I realize not having a quality dealer service location close is an issue too.

Perhaps you could offload the vehicle at the dealer or a Carmax and move on to something else (Durango or not).

Quick Reply: Any reason not to get a Durango?