3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Anyone use airbag spring helpers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM
OldRock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use airbag spring helpers?

My 2012 Durango Crew has the towing package with self-leveling shocks but they don't keep it level when towing my new trailer. The tongue weight is within spec at around 700 lb but the front end is high and steering is very light, making for white-knuckle towing on the highway.

Has anyone tried the AirLift 1000 or similar Firestone Coil-Rite airbag spring inserts on a 3G Durango? Is there any reason why they wouldn't work with the self-leveling shocks?

Old 05-09-2016, 12:42 PM
coldsteel
Captain

What's the mileage on the DD? Any other modifications we should know about? How do you know the tongue weight is around 700lbs?

Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
OldRock

Mileage is around 38,000. I weighed it on a truck scale with the trailer attached and without, and subtracted one from the other. I've adjusted some things since then so I don't have an exact current weight but it should be right around 700 lb. That's with two bikes on the A-frame mounted bike carrier. The steering is wonky with or without the bikes loaded. It's better when I add a couple of kayaks to the roof, which adds some weight to the front. I'm not planning to take those (or the bikes) on our next big trip.

No other mods

Last edited by OldRock; 05-09-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by OldRock
Mileage is around 38,000. I weighed it on a truck scale with the trailer attached and without, and subtracted one from the other. I've adjusted some things since then so I don't have an exact current weight but it should be right around 700 lb. That's with two bikes on the A-frame mounted bike carrier. The steering is wonky with or without the bikes loaded. It's better when I add a couple of kayaks to the roof, which adds some weight to the front. I'm not planning to take those (or the bikes) on our next big trip.

No other mods
The shocks shouldn't be worn out; no evidence of leaks? At 700 lbs, your shocks should be capable of pumping back up to level in a couple of minutes of driving.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I am having similar towing experiences when towing my 30 foot travel trailer (34' from the ball to the bumper) with my 2011 Durango Crew Hemi, even with anti-sway and weight distribution. My TT is 5900lb dry so even loaded I'm within the tow rating of the Durango. It sits pretty level after I've been on the road a few minutes, but I still get the sensation of the Durango kind of floating if I get above 60 mph and there's any sort of wind. I've tried different settings of the weight distribution, different tires, and even towing the camper unloaded.

I think it's more a function of the rather short wheelbase (versus a true truck) and long camper than the load leveling shocks. But I'm admittedly not very experienced in towing so I'm going to be watching this thread to see if a solution is discovered. I'm not in favor or trading in the Durango on a pickup.

-Rod

Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 PM
OldRock

Thanks Coldsteel - I agree that the self-levelers should be adequate. I'll have the shocks checked when its up on the hoist this week. I'm think I'm going to give the air spring helpers a try - at $75 it's an inexpensive fix and all the online comments I've seen elsewhere (for other cars and trucks) are positive. I'll post an update later to let you know if it helps, Rod.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

Originally Posted by OldRock
I'll post an update later to let you know if it helps, Rod.
That will be much appreciated!

-Rod

Old 05-10-2016, 04:45 PM
roogie
Rookie

My Dad put those on his Winnebago View motor home when towing their Mini Cooper, did a great job stabilizing that setup, especially when it was windy.

roog

Old 05-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Airlift ones on mine. I use it with the "self leveling" shocks. Helps a lot I feel. But I did little towing before having them. The rear of the Durango always felt very bouncy to me and wanted to get it better. Even with the airlift helpers the rear sags a bit from how it sits without the trailer and after driving. Here's a pic of it installed on mine:

And here's were I put the inflation valves:

Here's a pic of how the D was sitting at one of the stops on a trip:

This is when the 'self leveling' shocks are in their position from the load. I think the overall issue isn'y so much that the rear shocks sag, but that the front (non-self leveling) shocks tend to lift from the tongue load. I say that since the front of the Durango doesn't tend to sit up that high when I have no trailer.

Last edited by Norge; 05-11-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:46 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

With Spring [hopefully] just around the corner I'm starting to plan for the camping season again. Norge, did you stick with just the 5 psi in your air springs or have you tried creeping up on the 25 psi to see if that nearly eliminates the floating feeling? I'm still feeling pretty strongly that I'd like to get the Durango feeling more confident when towing the camper versus trading it in for a full size truck. I'm leaning the same way as OldRock - for around $100 for the basic Air Lift kit, it's not much of a gamble and certainly shouldn't hurt the way the Durango tows.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Anyone use airbag spring helpers?