3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Standard vs "upgreaded" (Beats = bleh) audio systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Standard vs "upgraded" (Beats = bleh) audio systems

Thoughts - pros and cons? Anyone do anything besides either of these (ie, crutchfield and such).

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 07-11-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:36 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Nobody? Comments on either?

Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The audio systems on modern cars are so integrated with other systems (climate control, rear seat DVD, backup camera, ventilated and heated seats, steering wheel controls, etc, it's difficult to find too many people interested in the investment and headache to integrate something aftermarket.

I'm not sure if you're referring to a brand new Durango or something a few years old. I'm satisfied with the Alpine system my 2011 came with but if I was looking for a bit of improvement, I'd start with speakers and not worry about a new head unit.

-Rod

Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Yeah unfortunately the Alpine system is no longer offered on the 2015/16 Durangos. Beats or basic. While I'm aware of the general consensus (of those who have experienced both) that the Alpine system is far better than the Beats, I'm wondering about stock basic vs Beats.

Overall, the Beats brand has not impressed me at all - it seems like nothing but cheaply made, vastly overpriced hype - you know, what everyone loves to hate on and accuse Bose of, except without any of the positives that come along with the Bose systems. Bose actually makes some pretty good sounding systems. Beats doesn't. Pill? Bleh. Headphones? Crap. Earbuds? Utter crap. Anything else I've missed? Probably also crap.

So the fact that they managed to get their **** into the new Durango is pretty irritating. I'd have much rather had Dodge go with Harmon Kardon, Bose, an upgraded Alpine system, JL, JBL...

Old 07-14-2016, 08:05 AM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to agree with the above posts... the functions of the stock head unit include HVAC controls (some of which are not replicated with hard buttons) and seat heaters/venting. It seems like an aftermarket stereo would be hardpressed to duplicate this.

I have an early '15 without the Beats name on it. Works well. I don't know if Beats added anything or if they just slapped a name on the existing system. It's a pretty good stock system in my opinion. Could use a little more clarity in some highs and mids, but very tolerable and capable of going plenty loud. Seems to be better tuned for Rock and hip hip over classical or jazz.

Steve

Quick Reply: Standard vs "upgreaded" (Beats = bleh) audio systems