3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Paddle shifter retrofit on 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Wolfe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle shifter retrofit on 2012?

Hey all,

Is it possible to retrofit the paddle shifters to a 2012 Durango R/T?

I'd prefer to use factory parts if possible, but without breaking the bank.

thanks for any ideas.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess on the cost $$ of doing so would break the bank.

I would be interested too, if didn't.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Wolfe

Doesn't look like there's a bolt on solution (unless the 14+ wheel would fit, but even then I don't think the buttons will match up).

I'm hoping there may be a couple of unused pins in the clockspring connector, maybe for heated steering wheel or similar, that could be used for this.

I'll update here if I get anywhere with this...

Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering it's a completely different transmission and stereo system as well, I can't imagine this could possibly be worth doing.

For what it's worth I have a '15 with paddle shifters and while there are times (mountain driving) that they are useful, they are rarely used.

The problem with the pre 2014 models isn't lack of paddle shifters, its the transmission itself. I had a '12 and it was trying so hard for fuel economy rather than for sport.

Steve

Old 07-14-2016, 06:20 AM
Wolfe

Thanks for the info.

Can the older transmission be improved via software, or are the gear ratios the problem?

The main thing I'd like to address is that delay when it downshifts, realizes one gear isn't enough and downshifts again.

I really dislike the side to side sequential shift on the lever. I'd still prefer paddles but if the transmission could be reprogrammed to be a little better, I could probably get by.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:41 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a HemiFever tune in my 2011 Hemi and it really woke the vehicle up. It doesn't seem like it starts out in 2nd gear anymore and I have no complaints about the up or down shifts. It's so much nicer to drive with the tune that I recently sold my tuned 2011 Taurus SHO because I could get my sporty driving fix from the Durango.

-Rod

Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Wolfe

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
I have a HemiFever tune in my 2011 Hemi and it really woke the vehicle up. It doesn't seem like it starts out in 2nd gear anymore and I have no complaints about the up or down shifts. It's so much nicer to drive with the tune that I recently sold my tuned 2011 Taurus SHO because I could get my sporty driving fix from the Durango.

-Rod
That sounds promising, thank you! Can you only have one tune at once, or are they user-switchable? Would a tune be a bad idea if I'm going to be towing?

I got a rental dodge today and I noticed it has the gear up/gear down buttons on the steering wheel. The wheel looks the same as mine (i.e. not the newer style) but has a blanking plate where these two shift buttons are. I wonder if just the buttons could be added...

Old 07-15-2016, 08:12 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can only have one tune installed in the Durango at a time. If you want to switch tunes you'd need to connect the Diablo to the OBDII port and switch tunes. That process takes probably 5-10 minutes.

I keep my tune installed year round and during the spring, summer, and fall spend a fair number of weekends towing my 30 foot travel trailer. The tune helps a lot with that as well. I'm running a 91+ octane tune.

Adding just the buttons on the steering wheel will not make the feature work, the buttons still need the appropriate wiring (including clockspring taps) and the software to read the signals from the buttons. You may be able to wire the buttons up to replace the up/down buttons on the shift lever, but I've never looked in to how that is implemented. Also, some manufacturers (Ford for one) use resistors to ground for the different steering wheel functions so they can control multiple functions over a single wire through the clockspring. I highly suspect these would be similar, otherwise there would be quite a few different clocksprings needed.

I really suspect you'd go through a lot of work to attempt to add a paddle/button shift function only to find you almost never use it. Does your 2012 have the +/- on the shift lever currently? If so, why don't you spend a bit of time using that to get the hang of how it functions. You'll likely find the function is not worth the energy of using very frequently.

-Rod

Old 07-15-2016, 08:18 AM
Wolfe

Thanks again Rod. That's going to be the deal breaker right there. I'd hoped the clock spring may be a multi wire affair but if it's using a single wire with a signal that's way more involved than I want to get into.

Thanks for the great info on the tunes, I will definitely check out hemifever. You're right - if the transmission shifts itself a little sportier, the desire for paddles becomes a lot lower.

Really appreciate all the advice, thanks again!

Quick Reply: Paddle shifter retrofit on 2012?