3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2016s - Citadel vs RT? (assuming V8 AWD for both)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:18 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016s - Citadel vs RT? (assuming V8 AWD for both)

Aside from the lack of roof racks (which, btw, does anyone use them for snowboarding?), is there somewhere I can find a list of differences broken down bit by bit?

So far all I've seen pointed out is:

Citadel:
- higher ride height
- roof racks
- more chrome bits on the trim

RT:
- lower ride height
- no roof racks
- fewer chrome bits on the trim

So....wtf am I missing here? The only options I plan on ordering are the tow package and maybe the skidplate for the Citadel...for the RT, towing and blacktop. I don't want the captain's seats (might get in the way when hauling stuff with seats folded down), definitely don't want the Beats audio, don't want the tech package, etc.

I can get the RT about $4k cheaper looks like, after incentives and such.

I like snowboarding, camping, occasional towing of a motorcycle trailer with dirtbikes or track bikes at some point, a bit of hunting and fishing. I don't do any serious offroading (especially not the stuff where the road is more of a destination than the campsite). At the same time I'd also like to not get stuck in deep snow, and I really like the look of that 2.5" lift people are doing with the Jeep GC's kit. Anyone done that lift to an RT yet? Or a Citadel? Anyone lifted an RT at all? Or taken one in some deep snow ala northeast or northwest / colorado weather?

Oh and I couldn't care less about the chrome bits, I'm more worried about things like maybe one has LED headlights and the other doesn't, or one has fog lights and the other doesn't, etc. I don't know.

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 07-20-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:50 PM
kell4life
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R/T is the sport version, also has a sports exhaust She sits a little lower and rides firmer/sportier. Handles quite well for such a large SUV. You can get most options on the R/T, ventilated seats, tech etc.... Get a tow hitch and you can mount a snowboard rack in the back when you need it. I've never had a problem taking it up to most of the mountains in Colorado, as long as you don't need any serious off road capabilities.

Last edited by kell4life; 07-20-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the exhaust note of the RT.

Also note with the RT you are limited to interior colors of black with red stitching, or black with red seats. Beige or gray is not available in RT trim.

I would suspect that snow tires would be a big improvement if handling snow is a concern. Ground clearance isn't trucklike, more comparable to a Subaru Legacy Outback.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:57 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Don't care too much about interior colors. I'm thinking white with black anyway.

Black with white would look pretty clean though...

Old 07-28-2016, 12:22 AM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Captains chairs don't get in the way with everything folded. Even if you get the middle row full size console it folds open and lays flush with the collapsed seats.

As far as citadel vs RT it's personal preference.

I think the plastic chrome bits don't look good. And they are just that, plastic with chrome looking film.

And the sound and ride if the RT is purdy.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hellomoto_25
Captains chairs don't get in the way with everything folded. Even if you get the middle row full size console it folds open and lays flush with the collapsed seats.

As far as citadel vs RT it's personal preference.

I think the plastic chrome bits don't look good. And they are just that, plastic with chrome looking film.

And the sound and ride if the RT is purdy.
Agreed. Although I will say that I'm about to replace the lower air dam on my R/T for the THIRD TIME. My suggestion: Don't take it off road, even two tracks that could be on the rough side. Snow isn't a problem on city streets though.

Latest lower air dam issue was when we were trying to find a short cut through some state land. Followed the designated "road" which was more like a horse trail. Lol. The AWD and hemi handled it like a champ though never getting stuck and powered right through. I got a little too confident though and took a dip into a mud covered part of the trail a little too fast and it ripped the air dam backwards and damaged the lower grill insert. Lol. That's what it's there for, but damn if I'm not tired of replacing these things.

Last edited by mcfarl58; 07-28-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Just thought I'd update you guys here - ended up snagging a 2016 RT AWD, Granite with blacktop, tow, and sunroof. Love it! It's my 3rd Dodge. I started with a '98 Dakota, then a 2010 Ram, and now this. In between I've also owned a Camaro and a WRX - I think I'm done with cars this time around. With any luck (and of course some TLC) I fully expect this one to last me the next 10 years at least.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Congrats on the purchase NorCal!

Quick Reply: 2016s - Citadel vs RT? (assuming V8 AWD for both)