3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Brand new GT with tow package but need brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:58 PM
Studiovette
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new GT with tow package but need brake controller?

Hey guys I just bought my first dodge ever and really loving my new Durango GT. A big selling point was the tow package and best in class towability from what I have read.

Anyway I am looking at buying a small travel trailer and one of the RV dealers told me that I need to have it installed at the dealership due to computer programming. I called two dealers and both verified that mopar does not make a controller for the Durango therefore I would need to go aftermarket. Btw two other rv dealers never mentioned anything about having to go to a dodge dealer for this.
Is this correct? If so can someone recommend one they are using and verify what is needed to install it? I know I need a harness to wire it in but not much more then that. I did a search on the forum and nothing came up. I certainly can't be the first to be looking into this. And if I go with aftermarket since it seems like the only choice will it void the warranty?

Thanks

Old 05-24-2017, 06:13 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If your Durango has the towing package then it should have the brake controller wiring active already. Does it have the factory installed receiver in the rear with the RV 7-position round trailer connector? If so, your brake controller pigtail is probably already active.

I am using the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller in my Durango and really like it. I've had a less expensive brake controller and there is a HUGE difference between that and the P3. IMHO, it's worth the extra money. And for what it's worth, I have absolutely no tie to Tekonsha, other than being a satisfied user. I also bought the Dodge pigtail (I don't recall the part number) which made the connection quite simple.

If your brake controller harness is not currently active and you don't want to mess with getting the dealer to enable it, you could always run the wires yourself, but if you do that, you had better make sure you have LED turn signals in the travel trailer, otherwise you'll probably end up with a goofy flash rate when the camper is connector or a "bulb out" warning.

-Rod

Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Studiovette

Thanks for the quick reply. This is what I found.

can you show me where you mounted your controller? Is it plugs and play or do I need to make adjustments.

I ordered the Tekonsha P3 and it came with the harness from etrailer.com.

Thanks again

Last edited by Studiovette; 05-24-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 05-24-2017, 11:04 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

Here's where I have my brake controller mounted.

Location of Tekonsha P3 in my 2011 Durango

Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Here's another +1 for the P3. Best course of action is to use the vehicle specific plug that Tekonsha makes to interface with the DD.

This way you have true plug-n-play with the snap connector on both ends and no wiring to deal with.

One end goes into the controller and the other plugs directly into the DD harness (usually secured up above the foot well by the e-brake.)

Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Studiovette

Thanks guys!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Waynead
Veteran

Yup, Prodigy is the one to get. I mounted mine like the photo, but on the other side, by the parking brake. I tow a 6600lb Airstream with no problem.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

Originally Posted by Waynead
I tow a 6600lb Airstream with no problem.
May I ask what weight distribution hitch / anti-sway combination you are using? I'm towing a 5900lb (dry weight) 30 foot travel trailer and get a bit nervous any time I get above 50 mph when there's even a slight side wind. That's about when sway sets in. I'm not sure if it's more wheelbase/camper length or hitch setup. It happens even when the camper and Durango is empty so it's not due to how the TT is loaded.

-Rod

Old 06-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Waynead
Veteran

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
May I ask what weight distribution hitch / anti-sway combination you are using? I'm towing a 5900lb (dry weight) 30 foot travel trailer and get a bit nervous any time I get above 50 mph when there's even a slight side wind. That's about when sway sets in. I'm not sure if it's more wheelbase/camper length or hitch setup. It happens even when the camper and Durango is empty so it's not due to how the TT is loaded.

-Rod
Reese Dual Cam. You need both both WD and anti-sway on your set up.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Studiovette

Originally Posted by Waynead
Reese Dual Cam. You need both both WD and anti-sway on your set up.
Thanks I went with a EAZ 1000 and it works pretty good. Had to adjust the anti sway a couple times to get it dialed in while towing my 26ft travel trailer, and is easy removable when needing to back trailer up into a spot.

Last edited by Studiovette; 06-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.