3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Durango with Charging Issue - T36 Alternator Fried

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 08:39 PM
INDurango
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My used '11 started having the battery light come on shortly after I bought it. I checked the recall and it had been done already so I was on my own. After doing some reading here, I decided to take my "newer" style alternator to an alternator shop and they were aware of the issues with them and said they can install a rectifier bridge with better diodes for $75. I took it to them and had that done just so I knew my alternator wasn't going to full field and cook the PCM and battery. After I installed it, the battery light still kept coming on from time to time and a volt gauge in my cigarette light confirmed 11.5 volts. After an afternoon of searching around the internet, I stumbled across a seller on eBay that repaired damaged PCMs for these vehicles. After contacting him, he asked if I had replaced the small two wire connector on the alternator. I had not and after carefully looking at it, I could tell it wasn't making good contact with the male terminals in the alternator. I ordered a new pigtail off of Amazon and replaced it. Wah-Lah, been fine ever since and I know my alternator has a better rectifier bridge as well.

The following users liked this post:
TNtech (02-09-2020)
Old 05-28-2022, 07:53 AM
INDurango
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update to replacing the alternator plug. May of 2022 and not a single problem since.

Last edited by INDurango; 05-28-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Durango with Charging Issue - T36 Alternator Fried