3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Windshield Wiper Fluid not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Fluid not working

Has anyone experienced their windshield wiper fluid not spraying/working? I have a 2015 DD R/T. My fluid ran low so I added -25 degree Rainex fluid. When I needed it the most (snowy windshield) it did not work. Then all of the sudden flid started to flow (front and back), and now today nothing. I see this as being very dangerous. I can hear the pump working but no fluid. I have never experienced no flow before in previous cars. Is this blockage, or frozen line?

Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

You can look at the nozzles yourself to see if they are frozen or blocked. That would be the obvious thing to check first.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Since you hear the pump, it did work for some amount of time before not working, and you don't mention that you notice a puddle under the truck after trying the washers, it seems likely that a line is frozen or otherwise blocked. Have you owned the vehicle long enough to know that there was correct washer solvent in the tank before and not some other fluid prone to freezing?

-Rod

Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM
oharag
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You can look at the nozzles yourself to see if they are frozen or blocked. That would be the obvious thing to check first.
Well that is true - though my real question is has anyone experienced what I experienced. I had never experienced freezing of washer fluid in my 30+ years of driving. Even using the Blue normal washer fluid (30 degrees). In this case I used the -25 degree washer fluid.

Is there a requirement by auto mfgs to provide a means to prevent washer fluid freezing since this would present a safety hazard during extreme conditions. I do not know if the washer lines are heated, or even the exit nozzles to prevent freezing.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM
oharag
Rookie

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
Since you hear the pump, it did work for some amount of time before not working, and you don't mention that you notice a puddle under the truck after trying the washers, it seems likely that a line is frozen or otherwise blocked. Have you owned the vehicle long enough to know that there was correct washer solvent in the tank before and not some other fluid prone to freezing?

-Rod
I purchased used. Had Blue washer fluid last year during winter months - no issue.

This winter - Fluid was flowing - though reservoir ran down completely. Put orange (-25) into reservoir and no go. Heard pump trying to push fluid front and rear. No go. Two days ago (outside temp 30ish) i got in car and tried again - fluid was flowing as expected (front and back). Yesterday we had snow and temps drop to around 15 degrees. Fluid stopped flowing. So this is a recent issue. I'm bringing car into shop Monday so I will mention this to dealer. Though, as mentioned in original message I have never experienced washer fluid not working in my 30+ years of driving (cold weather, old cars, blue washer fluid).

Old 01-05-2018, 02:49 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

base on your description....added fluid....hear pump; no spray...no leaks detected, worked next day...sure sounds frozen fluid. junk fluid will freeze in the lines. park it in a heated garage pump out the fluid. buy fluid from a trusted source ie the dealer, napa not walmart or the grocery store etc.

Last edited by primem; 01-05-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:58 PM
oharag
Rookie

Originally Posted by primem
base on your description....added fluid....hear pump; no spray...no leaks detected, worked next day...sure sounds frozen fluid. junk fluid will freeze in the lines. park it in a heated garage pump out the fluid. buy fluid from a trusted source ie the dealer, napa not walmart or the grocery store etc.
Purchased from Advance Auto - RainX -25 fluid.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb question, but you are sure you filled the washer fluid tank and not radiator overflow? The symbols are very similar.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think it's very common to have heated washer fluid/heated hoses/heated nozzles. My former 2007 Escalade came with a heated windshield washer system but it was disconnected under recall. They had a tendency to overheat and start fires. Fortunately when the recall was implemented the dealer left the connector in tact. An aftermarket company supposedly fixed the issue that the stock units had and it was a plug and play. I suppose you could adapt one to your Durango, but like you, I've not experienced issues with actual windshield washer solvent freezing. The weather has been hovering around 0 degrees F here this week and my blue washer solvent continues to flow. Although it will crust over on the cold windshield after the wipers make a pass and thin it out.

-Rod

Old 01-06-2018, 09:38 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Walmart Brand "Super Tech" winter mix and summer mix for years and I have never had a problem with either mix in any vehicle I have owned.
I currently have winter mix in my DD and it flows fine. It has always worked on any of my vehicles so far. That's why I use it.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Fluid not working