Advice on 2011 Hemi Citadel Durango - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 3rd Gen Durango
Reload this Page > Advice on 2011 Hemi Citadel Durango
Notices
3rd Gen Durango 2011 models

Advice on 2011 Hemi Citadel Durango

Reply

 
 
  #1  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Nate 03
Nate 03 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Default Advice on 2011 Hemi Citadel Durango

I found a used 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi with towing package for $20kish. It has roughly 77k miles on it. It has all the bells & whistles which really doesnít do anything for me, and it has the factory tow package. I am so glad I was able to see it before they touched it. Best I can tell it has not been used to tow because the lack of scratches on the inside of the hitch. There is a bit of rust in the back corner of the lift gate from a kink that wasnít fixed. I test drove it and it felt okay. Nothing to write home about, but not bad and everything including the heated seats seemed to work. It had newer tires and while visually the brakes looked worn they didnít feel bad. I did notice after getting off the highway and coming to a stop light it had the surging while idling. Normal feeling, but it just made it feel older. I was a bit worried when I saw tons of people having issues with stalling and other recall T36 concerns on these. I will be towing a 5k boat with it fairly regularly in the summer. Anyone got experience with this set up and could let me know if I could welcome 100k miles more of relatively trouble free travel with routine maintenance??
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Prospect62's Avatar
Prospect62
Prospect62 is offline
Rookie
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 96
Default

If it has the Hemi, you don't really have to worry about the T36 recall - it deals with the V6 models which have electric/hydraulic power steering. The Hemi models have conventional power steering, so it really shouldn't worry you - although I have heard from a few sources that the Hemi models might be included in the recall anyway. Either way, with a Hemi it shouldn't concern you.

Regarding the stalling - make sure it has had the fuel pump relay recall (called the "P54" recall) performed and be prepared for that relay to go bad again and cause an issue. I keep a spare in my glovebox, if you buy the truck come back here and ask and someone will point you where to go to grab a spare ($14 on Amazon).

There's no question that these trucks have their quirks, but most if not all have been hashed and figured out right here on these pages. They are built on a proven platform designed by Mercedes-Benz and shared with the ever-popular 2011+ Jeep Grand Cherokee. These really are smooth riding and driving vehicles and with the Hemi, even more so. Equipped with the Hemi and the factory tow package (VERIFY it has a factory tow package and not just a trailer hitch installed by someone - it DOES make a difference) this thing will tow your 5,000 lb boat without breaking a sweat.

The surging isn't normal and I'd ask for that to be addressed before I purchased.

I paid $18,000 for my 2011 Durango Crew edition with the V6 in September and it had 67,000 miles on it, for a price comparison. Since you have the V8 and all the goodies like leather, etc. I'd say their price isn't too far off the mark. Just have them repair the surging at the stop light. Good luck and keep us posted!
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 AM
coldsteel's Avatar
coldsteel
coldsteel is offline
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 713
Default

Everything Prospect said is valid. I have the exact model - 2011 Hemi Citadel with factory tow (HD cooling) and at 110k+ miles, I have done the P54 TIPM recall, Sun visor wiring recall, Takata airbag recall, oil changes, brakes, and a water pump at 90k. This vehicle has been awesome.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Nate 03
Nate 03 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Thank you both. Coldsteel do you pull a boat or camper? I will be going from Ohio to TN and up some very long inclines. I borrowed my Dad's Hemi Ram the first couple times and it put it to the test. That is rated for 8700 lbs or something too.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 AM
coldsteel's Avatar
coldsteel
coldsteel is offline
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 713
Default

Originally Posted by Nate 03 View Post
Thank you both. Coldsteel do you pull a boat or camper? I will be going from Ohio to TN and up some very long inclines. I borrowed my Dad's Hemi Ram the first couple times and it put it to the test. That is rated for 8700 lbs or something too.
I have towed multiple times, different loads about 1000 to 5000 pounds. The 2011 has a 5 speed so you will suffer a bit on fuel mileage BUT overall economy while towing isn't ever going to be good. Once loaded up, use the tow/haul mode. This modifies the handling program and transmission.

Tow/haul will lock out overdrive and the Electronic Range Selector will display [1]-[5]. This tells the TCM the highest gear to use while driving. It allows you to read the road ahead and lock out the higher gears (if set to [4], 5th gear is locked out for example) so that it doesn't hunt. While braking, the transmission will downshift sooner allowing for engine braking to assist with the hydraulic braking. If you need to change lanes and just tap the signal stalk, the lights will flash 6 times (instead of 3).

The only other suggestions I can make: keep a tool kit in the DD with needle nose pliers, pry tool, impact gun, torque wrench, lug wrench, air compressor, tire plug kit. It is much easier, faster, safer to plug and inflate a tire on the side of the road to allow you to get off an interstate than trying to lower a spare from the winch under the rear end, WHILE a trailer is attached. Make sure you have a spare trailer tire, the brakes are adjusted properly, and the axles have been serviced.

Safe travels.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Nate 03
Nate 03 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by coldsteel View Post
I have towed multiple times, different loads about 1000 to 5000 pounds. The 2011 has a 5 speed so you will suffer a bit on fuel mileage BUT overall economy while towing isn't ever going to be good. Once loaded up, use the tow/haul mode. This modifies the handling program and transmission.

Tow/haul will lock out overdrive and the Electronic Range Selector will display [1]-[5]. This tells the TCM the highest gear to use while driving. It allows you to read the road ahead and lock out the higher gears (if set to [4], 5th gear is locked out for example) so that it doesn't hunt. While braking, the transmission will downshift sooner allowing for engine braking to assist with the hydraulic braking. If you need to change lanes and just tap the signal stalk, the lights will flash 6 times (instead of 3).

The only other suggestions I can make: keep a tool kit in the DD with needle nose pliers, pry tool, impact gun, torque wrench, lug wrench, air compressor, tire plug kit. It is much easier, faster, safer to plug and inflate a tire on the side of the road to allow you to get off an interstate than trying to lower a spare from the winch under the rear end, WHILE a trailer is attached. Make sure you have a spare trailer tire, the brakes are adjusted properly, and the axles have been serviced.

Safe travels.
Great advice. The dealer got back to me and this was the Sales Manager's Nieces vehicle. She only drove it to Church on Sundays... etc..etc.. He did say they ensured there were no open recalls and that they turned the rotors, changed oil/fluids and put on new tires.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Waynead
Waynead is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York State
Posts: 299
Default

I regularly tow a 6600lb Airstream with my 2012 Citadel (we travel in it 2 months a year). Tows fine. Had my share of repairs but the only one that interrupted travel was the solenoid pack on the tranny. They fixed that on warrantee.

I'm just about hitting 100k on the vehicle with no immediate plans to replace it. Overall I'm quite happy with it. I drove Mecedes MLs before this and figured with the cost of any repairs I'd still be ahead and I am. I don't miss the $90 oil changes.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2018, 05:40 PM
Nate 03
Nate 03 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by Waynead View Post
I regularly tow a 6600lb Airstream with my 2012 Citadel (we travel in it 2 months a year). Tows fine. Had my share of repairs but the only one that interrupted travel was the solenoid pack on the tranny. They fixed that on warrantee.

I'm just about hitting 100k on the vehicle with no immediate plans to replace it. Overall I'm quite happy with it. I drove Mecedes MLs before this and figured with the cost of any repairs I'd still be ahead and I am. I don't miss the $90 oil changes.
Thank you. I didn't buy it at this point. I drove our V6 Chevy Traverse to the dealer and it actually looked slightly bigger or almost identical to the Durango which unpleasantly surprised me. The Traverse pulls my boat on short trips to a local lake okay, but it is not ideal and only FWD which has made getting out of some boat ramps a real adventure. I also don't like how big the boat looks behind the Traverse and how little I can see out of the mirrors. I am practically blind. The only way I ever know if someone is behind me is if I can see their shadow or if I am going around a turn. Additionally, I don't like that the Durango is a unibody vs. a truck platform. I imagine I will feel the trailer go over bumps like I do in my Traverse whereas I don't feel that in the Ram 1500. Finally, I don't know if the size of the Durango would be ideal in an emergency situation stopping with a trailer.

The Durango does solve power concerns and AWD takes care of the boat ramp, but that's it. My Dad's Ram truck I use is perfect and solves all those issues, but my wife doesn't want a truck. I don't know if a Tahoe/Yukon would do much better expect for the truck platform but I have decided to look for those unless I find a killer deal from someone trying to unload a Durango. If this sits on the lot for a long time and they start lowering the price I may reconsider.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cuconwk
3rd Gen Durango
19
08-17-2016 10:58 AM
c_l_phillips72
3rd Gen Durango
13
12-02-2014 06:00 PM
IEWRX
3rd Gen Durango
52
06-11-2014 09:14 PM
comprules83
3rd Gen Durango
2
09-16-2011 04:14 PM
sidewinder9m
3rd Gen Durango
3
04-24-2011 07:35 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: