3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Advice on 2011 Hemi Citadel Durango

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Nate 03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 2011 Hemi Citadel Durango

I found a used 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi with towing package for $20kish. It has roughly 77k miles on it. It has all the bells & whistles which really doesn’t do anything for me, and it has the factory tow package. I am so glad I was able to see it before they touched it. Best I can tell it has not been used to tow because the lack of scratches on the inside of the hitch. There is a bit of rust in the back corner of the lift gate from a kink that wasn’t fixed. I test drove it and it felt okay. Nothing to write home about, but not bad and everything including the heated seats seemed to work. It had newer tires and while visually the brakes looked worn they didn’t feel bad. I did notice after getting off the highway and coming to a stop light it had the surging while idling. Normal feeling, but it just made it feel older. I was a bit worried when I saw tons of people having issues with stalling and other recall T36 concerns on these. I will be towing a 5k boat with it fairly regularly in the summer. Anyone got experience with this set up and could let me know if I could welcome 100k miles more of relatively trouble free travel with routine maintenance??

Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has the Hemi, you don't really have to worry about the T36 recall - it deals with the V6 models which have electric/hydraulic power steering. The Hemi models have conventional power steering, so it really shouldn't worry you - although I have heard from a few sources that the Hemi models might be included in the recall anyway. Either way, with a Hemi it shouldn't concern you.

Regarding the stalling - make sure it has had the fuel pump relay recall (called the "P54" recall) performed and be prepared for that relay to go bad again and cause an issue. I keep a spare in my glovebox, if you buy the truck come back here and ask and someone will point you where to go to grab a spare ($14 on Amazon).

There's no question that these trucks have their quirks, but most if not all have been hashed and figured out right here on these pages. They are built on a proven platform designed by Mercedes-Benz and shared with the ever-popular 2011+ Jeep Grand Cherokee. These really are smooth riding and driving vehicles and with the Hemi, even more so. Equipped with the Hemi and the factory tow package (VERIFY it has a factory tow package and not just a trailer hitch installed by someone - it DOES make a difference) this thing will tow your 5,000 lb boat without breaking a sweat.

The surging isn't normal and I'd ask for that to be addressed before I purchased.

I paid $18,000 for my 2011 Durango Crew edition with the V6 in September and it had 67,000 miles on it, for a price comparison. Since you have the V8 and all the goodies like leather, etc. I'd say their price isn't too far off the mark. Just have them repair the surging at the stop light. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Everything Prospect said is valid. I have the exact model - 2011 Hemi Citadel with factory tow (HD cooling) and at 110k+ miles, I have done the P54 TIPM recall, Sun visor wiring recall, Takata airbag recall, oil changes, brakes, and a water pump at 90k. This vehicle has been awesome.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Nate 03

Thank you both. Coldsteel do you pull a boat or camper? I will be going from Ohio to TN and up some very long inclines. I borrowed my Dad's Hemi Ram the first couple times and it put it to the test. That is rated for 8700 lbs or something too.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by Nate 03
Thank you both. Coldsteel do you pull a boat or camper? I will be going from Ohio to TN and up some very long inclines. I borrowed my Dad's Hemi Ram the first couple times and it put it to the test. That is rated for 8700 lbs or something too.
I have towed multiple times, different loads about 1000 to 5000 pounds. The 2011 has a 5 speed so you will suffer a bit on fuel mileage BUT overall economy while towing isn't ever going to be good. Once loaded up, use the tow/haul mode. This modifies the handling program and transmission.

Tow/haul will lock out overdrive and the Electronic Range Selector will display [1]-[5]. This tells the TCM the highest gear to use while driving. It allows you to read the road ahead and lock out the higher gears (if set to [4], 5th gear is locked out for example) so that it doesn't hunt. While braking, the transmission will downshift sooner allowing for engine braking to assist with the hydraulic braking. If you need to change lanes and just tap the signal stalk, the lights will flash 6 times (instead of 3).

The only other suggestions I can make: keep a tool kit in the DD with needle nose pliers, pry tool, impact gun, torque wrench, lug wrench, air compressor, tire plug kit. It is much easier, faster, safer to plug and inflate a tire on the side of the road to allow you to get off an interstate than trying to lower a spare from the winch under the rear end, WHILE a trailer is attached. Make sure you have a spare trailer tire, the brakes are adjusted properly, and the axles have been serviced.

Safe travels.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Nate 03

Originally Posted by coldsteel
I have towed multiple times, different loads about 1000 to 5000 pounds. The 2011 has a 5 speed so you will suffer a bit on fuel mileage BUT overall economy while towing isn't ever going to be good. Once loaded up, use the tow/haul mode. This modifies the handling program and transmission.

Tow/haul will lock out overdrive and the Electronic Range Selector will display [1]-[5]. This tells the TCM the highest gear to use while driving. It allows you to read the road ahead and lock out the higher gears (if set to [4], 5th gear is locked out for example) so that it doesn't hunt. While braking, the transmission will downshift sooner allowing for engine braking to assist with the hydraulic braking. If you need to change lanes and just tap the signal stalk, the lights will flash 6 times (instead of 3).

The only other suggestions I can make: keep a tool kit in the DD with needle nose pliers, pry tool, impact gun, torque wrench, lug wrench, air compressor, tire plug kit. It is much easier, faster, safer to plug and inflate a tire on the side of the road to allow you to get off an interstate than trying to lower a spare from the winch under the rear end, WHILE a trailer is attached. Make sure you have a spare trailer tire, the brakes are adjusted properly, and the axles have been serviced.

Safe travels.
Great advice. The dealer got back to me and this was the Sales Manager's Nieces vehicle. She only drove it to Church on Sundays... etc..etc.. He did say they ensured there were no open recalls and that they turned the rotors, changed oil/fluids and put on new tires.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Waynead
Veteran

I regularly tow a 6600lb Airstream with my 2012 Citadel (we travel in it 2 months a year). Tows fine. Had my share of repairs but the only one that interrupted travel was the solenoid pack on the tranny. They fixed that on warrantee.

I'm just about hitting 100k on the vehicle with no immediate plans to replace it. Overall I'm quite happy with it. I drove Mecedes MLs before this and figured with the cost of any repairs I'd still be ahead and I am. I don't miss the $90 oil changes.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Nate 03

Originally Posted by Waynead
I regularly tow a 6600lb Airstream with my 2012 Citadel (we travel in it 2 months a year). Tows fine. Had my share of repairs but the only one that interrupted travel was the solenoid pack on the tranny. They fixed that on warrantee.

I'm just about hitting 100k on the vehicle with no immediate plans to replace it. Overall I'm quite happy with it. I drove Mecedes MLs before this and figured with the cost of any repairs I'd still be ahead and I am. I don't miss the $90 oil changes.
Thank you. I didn't buy it at this point. I drove our V6 Chevy Traverse to the dealer and it actually looked slightly bigger or almost identical to the Durango which unpleasantly surprised me. The Traverse pulls my boat on short trips to a local lake okay, but it is not ideal and only FWD which has made getting out of some boat ramps a real adventure. I also don't like how big the boat looks behind the Traverse and how little I can see out of the mirrors. I am practically blind. The only way I ever know if someone is behind me is if I can see their shadow or if I am going around a turn. Additionally, I don't like that the Durango is a unibody vs. a truck platform. I imagine I will feel the trailer go over bumps like I do in my Traverse whereas I don't feel that in the Ram 1500. Finally, I don't know if the size of the Durango would be ideal in an emergency situation stopping with a trailer.

The Durango does solve power concerns and AWD takes care of the boat ramp, but that's it. My Dad's Ram truck I use is perfect and solves all those issues, but my wife doesn't want a truck. I don't know if a Tahoe/Yukon would do much better expect for the truck platform but I have decided to look for those unless I find a killer deal from someone trying to unload a Durango. If this sits on the lot for a long time and they start lowering the price I may reconsider.

Quick Reply: Advice on 2011 Hemi Citadel Durango