3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Dodge Durango R/T - Brake Light comes on at highway speeds, goes away engine off

Old 02-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Capt Solo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 Dodge Durango R/T - Brake Light comes on at highway speeds, goes away engine off

Brake light Help!!
Not Sure why my Brake light comes on randomly (disregard the speed reading on speedometer)...The light will always go off when I turn off my engine.
I don't have any brake issues at all. My brake fluid is good, had my brake rotors and pads installed new 3 mos ago. I had the Recall Brake booster shield installed and the vacuum sensor replaced which didn't fix the problem. No signs of hardening of brakes whatsoever.....I'm stumped, my Mechanic is stumped, and guys at the dealership. Weird thing even checking the code it doesn't show as a "problem!"
Anyone know what this could Be??

Brake Light only comes on highway but only when cruising ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Dodge Durango R/T 5.7L V8 Hemi -
Mods K&N CAI, Hypertech Power Tuner, 20" SRT8 Rep Rims, Gibson Dual Axle Back Mufflers, Tinted windows and WeatherTech Window Guards, HID low beams and HID FOG Lights, Naviks Infotainment wiring harness, Stainless Steel Nerf Running Bars, Flip-down 10" monitor with Windows 10.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:31 PM
wildspeed
Professional

Just by curiosity does it happen at higher speed?
I notice that our durango is having electronic issues when driving at higher speed, like if I go over 120, the cruise control won't work again until I restart the car.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Capt Solo

Well to be honest, like I explained prior disregard the mph shown on the pics. That was a launch on a private road then it came on.

I see you're saying going over 120 mph and that's quite high and possibly another related issue Lol.

Actually, this happens to me between 55 - 65 mph, but Only when I'm holding that cruising speed for a couple miles.

Then brake light will go off after engine is turned off and restarted and will be gone til cruising speed again. WTH.

Last edited by Capt Solo; 02-15-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:05 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you tried setting and releasing the parking brake, making sure the parking brake is completely released?

-Rod

Old 02-16-2018, 08:07 AM
coldsteel
Captain

I agree with SHO - For the light to come on FULL brightness indicates the park brake switch circuit. If the brake fluid sensor was wonky or the fluid was moving due to speed, I would expect it to flicker and not be on and stay on full bright. You say once it is on, it stays on until ignition off. Can you trigger it again, then safely stop and apply/release park brake?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Capt Solo

Hi Coldsteel & SHO,

Yes, I've tested that as well. With the light on, I'd park my D, then press the parking brake and release it a couple of times. It would still stay on Until I completely shut the engine off, then restart and the red "Brake warning light" would be off once again.

Oh one thing I did find......when driving in "6th gear" Without cruising in "D" (which is Overdrive/ECO mode) in the transmission.....The Brake Warning light Doesn't come on at all when Cruising. WTH!

I hear some guys talk about the "Transmission Speed sensor? Any thoughts regarding this being the culprit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge Durango R/T - Brake Light comes on at highway speeds, goes away engine off