3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Battery Saver Mode Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Ryan d
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Saver Mode Issue

I have a 2014 Durango SXT V6 AWD that has had an issue with battery saver mode since late August. About 1 minute after starting up the "battery saver mode" message pops up on the speedometer and the stereo volume shuts off. After 4 or 5 days of this I went to an Advance Auto Parts and bought a new battery. I swapped the batteries in the parking lot, started it, and a minute later "battery saver mode" popped up and the stereo volume shut off. I brought the old battery into the store and had it tested. Based on the test the guy working at Advance said the battery was in "stupidly good shape." He told me leave the new battery in for a couple of days and see if the issue resolved itself. It didn't go away and he let me return the new battery two days later.

We thought it may be an alternator issue (the original alternator was replaced as part of the recall a few years ago), and I decided I would just run the Durango as is until I had any issues other than the stereo cutting off the volume. Three months later (late November) with no other issues (aside from learning battery saver mode also disables the rear window and side mirror defrosters) I took it to the dealer for testing. $170 later the dealer said the alternator is fine but the battery is bad. I declined having the dealership replace the battery and went to an AutoZone a few days later. AutoZone tested the battery and again said it was in great shape and they have no idea why the dealership would say it was bad.

So this has been going on for 6 months now and I have had no issues other than with the stereo and the defrosters. I have had no starting issues all winter, I have even been able to jump start my plow truck off of the Durango. The local garage where I go for state inspections was baffled and just suggested going to a dealership. Has anyone else had this issue? It sucks not having a stereo, but I don't want to keep paying for testing at a dealership after not being satisfied the last time.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:00 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan d
I have a 2014 Durango SXT V6 AWD that has had an issue with battery saver mode since late August. About 1 minute after starting up the "battery saver mode" message pops up on the speedometer and the stereo volume shuts off. After 4 or 5 days of this I went to an Advance Auto Parts and bought a new battery. I swapped the batteries in the parking lot, started it, and a minute later "battery saver mode" popped up and the stereo volume shut off. I brought the old battery into the store and had it tested. Based on the test the guy working at Advance said the battery was in "stupidly good shape." He told me leave the new battery in for a couple of days and see if the issue resolved itself. It didn't go away and he let me return the new battery two days later.

We thought it may be an alternator issue (the original alternator was replaced as part of the recall a few years ago), and I decided I would just run the Durango as is until I had any issues other than the stereo cutting off the volume. Three months later (late November) with no other issues (aside from learning battery saver mode also disables the rear window and side mirror defrosters) I took it to the dealer for testing. $170 later the dealer said the alternator is fine but the battery is bad. I declined having the dealership replace the battery and went to an AutoZone a few days later. AutoZone tested the battery and again said it was in great shape and they have no idea why the dealership would say it was bad.

So this has been going on for 6 months now and I have had no issues other than with the stereo and the defrosters. I have had no starting issues all winter, I have even been able to jump start my plow truck off of the Durango. The local garage where I go for state inspections was baffled and just suggested going to a dealership. Has anyone else had this issue? It sucks not having a stereo, but I don't want to keep paying for testing at a dealership after not being satisfied the last time.
This certainly sounds like a frustrating situation, Ryan. At this time, our team recommends returning to your preferred dealer, or a second dealer for another opinion on your battery concerns. If you'd like, we can provide a list of dealers in your area to choose from, just send your zip code.

Kate
DodgeCares

Old 03-02-2020, 09:46 AM
cwilliamt
Amateur

I don't know if you resolved your "battery saver mode" issue...but here's my experience...

I assume the 2014 is similar, but I'm not sure...My 2017 actually has 2 batteries. When I saw this "battery saver mode" message on my dash...it coincided with the remote start failing...followed shortly thereafter by the stop-start function not working (which I was sort of happy about, but I knew that there was something going on in the charging system that needed attention)...I also had some odd electrical things happen (though no loss of stereo)...all the while my battery meter was reading full amps...

I opted to go to a dealer, have them test the system...and one of the two batteries tested bad. I replaced it (not cheap, but well worth it) and all has been well since.

The charging systems on these things is a loop...alternator, both batteries, and I'm sure more stuff...any one bit goes off, it will prevent the system from holding the appropriate charge for the many functions the batteries need to perform. Just the stop-start function requires a full battery to crank the engine...

Old 03-04-2020, 01:37 PM
vipergg
Rookie

The 14's do not have that second battery because they did not have the stupid stop/start feature back then which is what that second battery is for . . Have that on my 20 DD . I turn off that stupid feature everytime I start the car . So there is no load on that battery but I have seen reports of premature failure on those smaller 2nd batteries .

Last edited by vipergg; 03-04-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:11 PM
cwilliamt
Amateur

Ahhh, yes. The good old days before start-stop...

Thanks vipergg for clarifying about the 14's...I thought I was onto something that might have helped out Ryan d...oh well, I hope he can sleuth it out...

Quick Reply: Battery Saver Mode Issue