3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Shifter Change in new Durangos - Comment

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 03:46 PM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Change in new Durangos - Comment

Can anyone comment on the change over from a dial shifter in my Durango (2015) and the newer DD using a traditional linear shifter? I thought Durangos were having the rollback failure while in park because of the dial shifter, but the Star Trek Actor who died by being crushed by his Jeep Grand Cherokee I think had the linear shifter. I love the dial shifter - low profile - doesn't get in your way while reaching across center console.

Attached Thumbnails Shifter Change in new Durangos - Comment-2015_dodge_durango_dash-620x412.jpg   Shifter Change in new Durangos - Comment-dg018_078duvpns2brjlleufp80p2hu45htv7.jpg  
Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The actor got run over by the return-to-center joystick shifter, not the dial and not the traditional linear w/ detent shifter. I have a Durango and a Charger with gated shifters, my RAM has the dial on dash. I have never used the joystick one. I have been caught reaching for a column shift that isn't there (we used to have GMs).

Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 AM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Coldsteel is correct. All these new shifters, whether rotary, return-to-center joystick, push-button, traditional linear with detent, etc., are nothing more than just switches; there are no longer mechanical linkages that connect to transmissions. I made it a habit to engage the parking brake every time the car is running in park with no driver in the car - unattended. Even in the old days there were instances with mechanically linked transmissions in which the shifter, mounted on the steering column, dropped into reverse, so, better play it safe than sorry.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:43 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't like the dial at first in my 2015 but you get used to it. It does save some space. I rented a newer one with the T handle and it was fine too. The transmission itself is so much better than what my 2012 had that i don't much care what the interface is as long as it shifts correctly.

Quick Reply: Shifter Change in new Durangos - Comment