3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Cruise control button not working?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:49 AM
Kayla Staat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control button not working?

Hey there! Recently I bought a 2013 Durango RT(maybe 3 weeks ago). I’ve not had any problems with her(she’s got 117k miles) and I absolutely love it. But tonight as we were leaving and a cop followed us into the freeway, I went to set my cruise control so I knew I would go over the 60mph speed limit. Only to find out, it didn’t want to come on. Didn’t have a problem with it before, my menu and phone buttons work on the other side of the steering wheel, but not the cruise control on/off. If course the other ones like “set, +\-, res” won’t work because it won’t come on in the first place.

Anyone else have/had this problem? Oh! We later pulled over, turned off the car and back on, still nothing. Get to the house turn car off, wait about 5 min and turned back on, still didn’t work.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

This will probably sound like a dumb question, but are you absolutely sure you were trying to engage the cruise correctly? It's easy to get flustered because there's a cop behind you (even though you tried it two other times later and it still didn't work). The next thing to confirm is that the fuses are good for the system. Also, try your horn to make sure it works. Honking the horn should cause the cruise to turn off so if your horn is not working properly, the system may be smart enough to prevent the cruise from engaging.

-Rod

Old 04-08-2018, 12:10 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue periodically in my 2013. My wife drives it most of the time so when I drive it I test the button. Sometimes if I hold it down for awhile or push it 30-40 times it will start to work. Its on my list of things to fix before my extended warranty runs out.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Kayla Staat

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
This will probably sound like a dumb question, but are you absolutely sure you were trying to engage the cruise correctly? It's easy to get flustered because there's a cop behind you (even though you tried it two other times later and it still didn't work). The next thing to confirm is that the fuses are good for the system. Also, try your horn to make sure it works. Honking the horn should cause the cruise to turn off so if your horn is not working properly, the system may be smart enough to prevent the cruise from engaging.

-Rod
I get what you’re asking(the cop thing) and everything was ok. All day today driving around the cruise controls were working fine. Unfortunately I went to get groceries, tested the button and it worked. After shopping, load the car and the button quit working again, tested the horn like you said, that works fine. Tested the button after honking and still nothing. It’s confusing that everything else button wise works on the steering wheel but not the “on/off” of the cruise control.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

10A fuse F82 in the Power Distribution Center would be for the cruise control, but since operation seems intermittent, it seems unlikely to be a fuse. Hmmm.....

If you happen to have a professional-grade scan tool you could monitor the switch input to see if the systems recognizes when the button is pressed, even when the cruise fails to turn on. If it does recognize the press, then you'd know there was some other sensor or feature that is preventing the cruise from engaging. Any chance you have access to such a scan tool?

-Rod

Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Waynead
Veteran

I had that problem and the source was a broken brake light switch. Cruise wouldn't engage because it thought I was hitting the brakes.

Quick Reply: Cruise control button not working?