3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:11 PM
rcbjr21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes

anyone know how to fix the P1524 or the P066DD code without spending 100's of dollars to a repair shop for a 2014 Durango?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:57 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Please also provide the engine information of your 2014 Durango. The sub-model information likely is not important for this question, but may as well provide that too.

Also keep in mind that RARELY do diagnostic codes state exactly what part is bad and needs to be fixed. They will require some diagnostics to properly troubleshoot. That's why they are diagnostic codes instead of problem/trouble codes. While there may be common issues that cause certain codes, it's not guaranteed that every instance of such a diagnostic codes will be remedied by the same fix.

With that in mind, what have you done to try to diagnose these codes? The P1524 is for "oil pressure out of range" which could be due to a low oil level, poor oil condition, the incorrect weight of oil, or an electrical issue with the circuit. Did this diagnostic code pop up shortly after having the oil changed? Have you checked the oil level on the dipstick? How long has it been since the oil has been changed?

The P066DD is similar in possible causes, so fixing one issue will likely fix the second. Again, check the condition and level of the engine oil. If the oil was replaced just prior to these diagnostic codes, confirm the correct oil filter was installed. Inspect the wiring to the oil pressure sensor and if the sensor is coated in oil, it might be bad and causing these codes.

-Rod

Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 AM
rcbjr21

I have the 3.6L engine. I had just changed the oil on Thursday I used a synthetic 0W-20 oil and the oil, check engine light and low oil pressure lights came on when I went to start it up the next day, oil pressure was down in the single digits except when I stepped on the gas, come to find out I had the wrong oil filter. I had replaced the oil filter and the pressure came up to around 40, I have checked the oil level and it is full. I never lost any oil.

Last edited by rcbjr21; 08-13-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:54 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

0W-20 oil I thought was typically reserved for hybrids. Are you sure that's the correct oil for your Durango? I would expect something more like 5W-20. The 0 Winter viscosity is probably more what this oils starts out as from a cold start and that may throw off the pressure expected at start up.

-Rod

Old 08-14-2018, 08:42 AM
GDM
Professional

My 2011 DD with 3.6 engine requires 5W-30. Owners manual states that Synthetic may be used if it meets conventional oil standards to include viscosity. Anything else will result in potential engine damage.

Quick Reply: Codes