3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Auto hi-beam function

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto hi-beam function

What a PITA! I often find myself in urban/rural areas with poorly lighted streets/roads and would like better illumination from my '17 Citadel. But when I hit the hi-beam lever the lights stay on low-beam because there is just enough light for the car's system to decide I don't need no steekin' hi-beams. What's with all the control freaks at FCA?
First I find out the DD turns off when I come to a stop but restarts when I touch the accelerator. Luckily they installed an override function for that annoying POS feature. Now, my damned high beams work only when FCA thinks they should. When do I get to decide this stuff?
I'm Old School and have reluctantly accepted many of the new features on today's cars, which mostly seem reasonable except for the touch screen nonsense. If I'm listening to the radio I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to find and hit 3-4 buttons on the touch screen just to go from dash heat to floor heat. It's unsafe and very annoying. Too much tech makes Orin a crotchety old b*****d.
Back to the high beams -- is there any way to disable this function? Also, is there any way someone in HR can get rid of some of the control freaks in engineering and design? Sheesh, give us a break!
Dodge Cares you listening?

Old 11-17-2018, 08:25 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you checked your owner's manual for how to disable the auto high beams? I haven't played with the system in a 2017 but my wife's 2014 auto high beam setting is configurable through the menus and only needs to be set once. It's NOT something that resets every time the vehicle is started.

-Rod

Old 11-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, amazing things become obvious when you read the Owner's Manual. Duh! That's on me.
I went to the Dodge site and found the expanded version of the manual -- which is not in the printed version -- and it explained how to disable the auto hi-beam function. A couple of clicks, and BOOM! I'm back in control again. Daddy's happy.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:39 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also move the light selector from Auto to On which overrides the auto-high and goes with manual high-beams.

Quick Reply: Auto hi-beam function