3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018 | 12:04 AM
Nick Citadel
|
Default Intermittent starting issue

I have had this issue where the Durango won't start; everything lights up but it won't turn over.

The first time this happened the vehicle had been sitting idle for maybe 20 minutes. I hopped in put my foot on the brake and pushed the button. Nothing happened. I tried it several times several different ways. I tried not putting my foot on the brake and pushing the button to cycle it through accessory to run and then putting my foot on the brake before again pressing the ignition to run. I removed the push button and inserted the fob. I opened the door between attempts. After each time I get an error about object detection not working. I didn't get a key error. I tried remote start and nothing.
I gave up and went to bed. I called a tow truck in the morning. The driver asked me to show him the issue. I repeated all of the steps several times and it still didn't work. I gave it one last shot and it fired up like nothing was wrong. It didn't crank slowly. It just started like normal, except that I thought I heard a clicking sound in the dash. We agreed to have it towed to the dealer anyway. They kept the truck for a few days and came to the conclusion that it was a fluke. There were no error codes and no bulletins.
Two weeks later it happened again. I had been driving, shut it off while waiting for someone and then it failed to start. This time I shut off everything that made noise, rested my head on the steering wheel (partially to hear and feel vibration better and partially because I was exasperated). When I pressed the ignition I thought I heard it try to crack over for a split second. The truck does have the original battery so I asked a friend for a jump. After being connected for 30 seconds I tried to start it and nothing. Then I waited for two minutes and it started.
I went on to replace the battery. I wasn't convinced that was the issue but hey why not. I didn't notice any difference in the cranking speed but everything was ok for another two weeks.
It did it again this morning. Went to the store. Came back 15 minutes later and it failed to start. I was eventually able to start it without a jump. The only difference this time was that I got a door ajar error after one of the attempts.

My only guesses right now are bad spot in the starter which seems unlikely, bad voltage regulator, or computer.

Anyone else have this issue? The dealer said that they can't troubleshoot it if it doesn't happen when they have it.

This issue happened again tonight and includes many more symptoms. Again the vehicle would not start at first after being off for a short time. Once I did get it started nearly every idiot light in the console stayed on. No FCW, no object detection, no parking assist, no traction control, check engine, brake light, etc.... I was able to drive but had no speedometer. The locks and rear liftgate would not operate while the vehicle was running but will work when the vehicle is off.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issue