3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Clicking While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 03:16 AM
Mots817
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clicking While Driving

We just bought a 2011 Citadel 5.7 AWD Durango with 75,000 miles on it. I've searched the forum and keep finding different answers, so I'm super confused. I'm definitely no mechanic, but I'm not completely clueless, well yes, to this issue I am. Anyways, while driving it makes a clicking noise (but not all of the time, it can go days without making a dang sound and then it comes & goes while driving) the noise is coming from underneath, but I can't pinpoint where, sometimes it sounds like from the rear, the center and even a few times from the front. It kind of sounds like someone put a baseball card in the spokes of a bike.. It does not do it when it's just sitting, only when driving. Also, I put it in reverse and drove backwards and it does it in reverse as well. My husband and I are stationed in Germany, which makes it super hard to get a mechanic to work on it. Our usual German mechanic tried to fix the issue, but he was just going off of google searches for what the noise might be & 550 euro later I have a new control module actuator for my transfer case and still have the noise. It's super frustrating because I can't find a mechanic over here with any Dodge knowledge & I'm thinking I just bought a $15,000 paperweight. When we test drove it, it didn't make this noise... We had the oil changed right after buying it & about maybe a week later it started with the noise, but again it doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine compartment at all. Any help would be great!! Thank you!!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pretty tough to diagnose this over internet. First thing I would do is properly torque the wheel lug nuts.
If all good there try to determine the speed of the clicking? Does it seem to be similar to wheel rotating speed or a faster click speed like engine rpm??

Old 08-21-2019, 12:48 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had clicking / rattling that sounded like it was coming from somewhere in the dashboard. I checked the glove compartment, cabin filter, and as I banged with my fist on top of the dashboard, there still was that rattling sound. In the end, it turned out to be two pair of glasses (sun and magnifiers) that I had in the overhead storage compartment (above the rear view mirror).

Old 08-22-2019, 03:19 AM
Mots817

Thank y'all for the help. I took it to our mechanic on base who knows American cars... Yeah... lol... Told him everything I've been given suggestions on & as we stood under the truck while another guy was in it, we watched as the rear drive shaft vibrates and bounces against itself & makes the clicking, which is now a clacking noise.. Anyways, he's suggesting I replace the entire rear drive shaft and the center drive shaft support. It's super nice to finally know exactly what it is & to know that I didn't just buy a giant paperweight for my driveway. I'm searching for the parts now, if anyone has any ideas on the best place to get these parts that will ship to an APO military address I'd appreciate any help.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:02 AM
Mots817

Originally Posted by Mots817
Thank y'all for the help. I took it to our mechanic on base who knows American cars... Yeah... lol... Told him everything I've been given suggestions on & as we stood under the truck while another guy was in it, we watched as the rear drive shaft vibrates and bounces against itself & makes the clicking, which is now a clacking noise.. Anyways, he's suggesting I replace the entire rear drive shaft and the center drive shaft support. It's super nice to finally know exactly what it is & to know that I didn't just buy a giant paperweight for my driveway. I'm searching for the parts now, if anyone has any ideas on the best place to get these parts that will ship to an APO military address I'd appreciate any help.
I cannot for the life of me find the center support bearing for a 2011 Durango rear driveshaft. I've searched every place you can think of online & I'm having no luck at all. Does anyone know where I can find one that will fit my Durango?? Thank you!!

Old 08-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Mots817

Well good news.... I talked to MOPAR parts, Dodge & a couple mechanics from back home & I have to order the entire rear driveshaft in order to get that part for my 2011.. I swore I was just losing my mind, but it's good to know that it'll come pressed on/assembled on the new rear driveshaft I just ordered... Even better I found a place to ship it to me from the states to here in Germany for only $100 shipping!! Winning or at least I feel like it.. lol Thank you all for the help, I sincerely appreciate it!!

Old 08-24-2019, 08:31 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Im Canadian. But thank you to you and your hubby for your service! Stay safe ! and good luck with your repairs !

Old 11-26-2019, 12:47 AM
putt4fun

Going through this same issue right now. I could not believe that there were no universal joints that were replaceable on the drive shaft. Replace the entire drive shaft for $1850, only available through Dodge.
Does not seem like very good design and engineering to me.
Thank you for your service and stay safe.

Quick Reply: Clicking While Driving