3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Drivers Ovhd Console Lights Stays On??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 01:33 PM
rstew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Ovhd Console Lights Stays On??

Another weird thing on my 2016 Citadel; when either door is opened both overhead console lights come on like they should. But then after all doors are closed the drivers side console light STAYS ON, while the passenger side extinguishes as it should. It finally turns off when the main power shuts off (after engine shutdown); about 15 minutes later.
This is not a big deal normally during daytime driving, but it is very distracting and annoying when driving after dark, because there is no way to shut it off. I have played with the headlight controls and the dashboard dimmer switch, to no avail.
Note the map lights are not affected; they are separately switched and work normally.

Anyone any ideas as to what's wrong and how it can be remedied?

Thanks, rstew

Old 07-10-2021, 09:30 PM
Calamity Coyote
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the lights are anything like the 2nd gen and Aspen, the plastic lens has a small groove in it that breaks and therefore no longer works as intended to turn on/off. To my knowledge, this lens cannot be purchased on it's own. You have to purchase a whole new overhead console. I ended up adding toggle switches to mine to fix this issue. I have a step by step how to on another forum on this process. Light still turns on/off with doors, but instead of pushing the light to turn on/off manually, you flip the new toggle switch.

Stock Console

Lens with broken tab.

Toggle switches added to turn on/off as needed. Still work with door control switch.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:35 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

There needs to be an on/off switch near the map lights. Can you post a photo of the overhead?

The following users liked this post:
rstew (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 01:22 PM
rstew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
There needs to be an on/off switch near the map lights. Can you post a photo of the overhead?
MT; you are absolutely correct!
There are 3 switches in the center of the console, between the lights.
One is for opening the back hatch, and the other 2 are the console lights, which we never use.
Sure enough the drivers side was switched on somehow.
No idea how this happened, but we have 2 sets of young grandchildren, so anything is possible!!!
Next time something weird happens I'll look a little more thoroughly.......!

CC; your switch suggestion would also be a good way to fix the problem. That would have been my next recourse.

Thanks for the help,
rstew

Quick Reply: Drivers Ovhd Console Lights Stays On??