3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Coolant leak at rear heat supply line

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 12:03 PM
crazxrt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coolant leak at rear heat supply line

Durango 2020 RT. Happened 1/2/2022 - SUV 1 yr & 3 months old with 68oo miles. Few days noticing leaking coming from under right rear seat area, red/pink color, getting worse. Finally everything just poured out. Four miles from home & temp gauge starts going high, got audible message of overheating. Pull over 2nd time & still losing all fluid. Towed to dealership.
Firstly, chrysler towing service was worthless as was my own insurance, called local tow & paid out-of-pocket.
The dealership lacked in communication skills & it took 1 1/2 days to find the problem. For warranty service the tech must be certified. Diagnostics & pressure testing took forever.
They tell me the rear heat supply line shifted out of place & was resting up against the exhaust, causing a hole to be chewed away till it finally blew through. The coolant was running along the exhaust pipe.
Dealership people tell me this is a design flaw, with the pipe shifting over caused by hitting a curb, Said they never saw this before & yet a mopar repair kit was available, not going to put in a new pipe when a repair kit is available so dodge knew about this problem.
With a large SUV, heavy duty, pick-up truck chassis - how on earth can they say one minor slow speed run over a curb - can cause a pipe to shift out of place. And how am I to know it won't happen again.
Image: https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...506d672b29.jpg
Image: https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...7a78a341f7.jpg
Image: https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...a12ae284e7.jpg

right side pipe burned through just above bend

pipe burned through right at the bend on the right side pipe

Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

You need a better camera...lol....hope they get it fixed for you.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-03-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:57 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow, guess I'll be looking under mine now.

On the dealer not seeing it before, it's very possible that you're the first to come in to that specific dealership with this problem. Be glad they said it's a known problem though, too many dealers are quick to dismiss things like this as driver-inflicted, and not covered by warranty. That's a dealer you probably want to keep using and stay on good terms with.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (02-03-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:57 PM
crazxrt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default follow up

My plan is to go to another dealership to see if the pipe has shifted again & whether or not the whole pipe should have been replaced. I know my pix are lousey but good on my cell. This is an RT so with it being heavy duty already, I cannot fathom a pipe shifting out of place. TV commercials show SUVs going over rocks & everything else, so why did the pipe shift? This particular dealership had lousey communication skills.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak at rear heat supply line