3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

A/C and Heat Issues That Don't Make Sense

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 05:39 PM
sharkbait094
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A/C and Heat Issues That Don't Make Sense

Thank you in advance. I have searched the forums and found some ideas for fixes. Some suggest a bad heater core. Some suggest a bad blend door actuator. But each of the posted problems are only a part of my problem, so I wanted to come share my whole situation in case it all means it's something worse (like a systemic electrical issue affecting multiple things), or maybe I have several different things in play that need to be addressed (addressed individually in those other threads). So what do you all think?

2013 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7L Hemi, with Tow Package (heavy duty cooling)

Previously, the A/C was blowing cold while driving, but not while stopped. I changed the water pump/thermostat and ran a couple of radiator flush kits through (to solve another problem) and now the A/C blows cold at idle on Driver's side defrost/dash/floor and backseat top (roof vents) but does not work backseat floor vents or Passenger's side defrost/dash/floor. The heater blows hot everywhere except the rear roof vents (which successfully blew cold air when cold is selected). The rear floor blows hot (didn't blow cold) and all vents in the front, driver and passenger, blow hot. I don't have a great idea of the number and locations of heater cores and blend doors and how to diagnose them. I'm really hoping these individual components are the problem and not the electrical signal telling them what to do (unless that's an easy fix? fingers cross?). Unfortunately I have not had another adult with me to see if there are changes in each zone when driving vs when stopped.

I am gone for a few days, away for work, so I can't do any more diagnostics immediately, but thought if I could get some useful insight here, I could order some parts to be back home when I get there at the end of the week and try some fixes this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Recap AC/HEATER (at idle)...
Driver Defrost: Cold/Hot
Driver Dash: Cold/Hot
Driver Floor: Cold/Hot
Passenger Defrost: no/Hot
Passenger Dash: no/Hot
Passenger Floor: no/Hot
Back Vents (roof): Cold/no
Back Floor: no/Hot

Quick Reply: A/C and Heat Issues That Don't Make Sense