3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2019 RT Throttle Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 12:56 PM
JaysDurangoRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 RT Throttle Hesitation

Hello, I have a 2019 RT RWD, it has 45,000 miles and Installed is the KN Cold Air Intake and a Cat Back Dynomax Exhaust system. Has the Performance hood but i have a cover plate on the drivers side vent (air filter vent). No Check Engine Light on.

issue I’m having is that when you floor this vehicle or accelerate at 100% from 0, it falls on its face until 4500rpms, almost like something is fighting or holding back the acceleration, but the emergency brake is not on, and the calipers are not riding or sticking, it does this with traction control on or off it does it in sport mode or eco-mode it does it in manual mode or automatic it does it with the air filter plate installed on the hood or removed. I don’t see anything unplugged under the hood there’s no exhaust leak. All the clamps are tight on the intake. I’m at a complete loss for what is going on. Part of me says maybe it needs fuel tuning but it doesn’t feel like the engine is hesitating and if you lean into it with the throttle pedal, it’s not as bad but if you put it at 100%, it does not go like it should I read lots about there being a delay with the throttle pedal so I thought about getting a pedal commander or equivalent, but before I spend any money in any direction, I would like a second opinion, or some more insight.

Thank You

-Jay

Last edited by JaysDurangoRT; 11-07-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:35 PM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be a bad throttle position sensor. If you have access to HP Tuners or Diablo Sport tuner you can try a throttle recalibration. Could also check for any additional codes stored in the PCM which would not throw a CEL.

The following users liked this post:
JaysDurangoRT (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 04:58 PM
JaysDurangoRT

Originally Posted by D3-Blk-Hemi
Could be a bad throttle position sensor. If you have access to HP Tuners or Diablo Sport tuner you can try a throttle recalibration. Could also check for any additional codes stored in the PCM which would not throw a CEL.
thank you for the response. That was gonna be my next question, I have a spare hemi throttlebody, so I’m just going to switch them and see if that helps my troubleshooting

and do you know if a throttle recalibration is available on J-scan?

Thank You

Old 07-26-2023, 08:20 AM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional

Yes, here is the knowledge base link to relearn the Throttle Body (ETC). I would relearn before swapping the throttle body.
https://jscan-docs.readthedocs.io/en...neral/etc.html

JaysDurangoRT (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:36 AM
DDCREW
Professional

Another item to check is if you have Hill Start Assist (HSA) and if it is turned on or off. I noticed on my D that with the HSA on, take offs are not as quick as with the HSA turned off.

JaysDurangoRT (07-27-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 01:32 AM
JaysDurangoRT

Originally Posted by D3-Blk-Hemi

Update:
I performed the etc procedure and cycled the ignition, went for a ride and it has no more hesitation (besides being drive by wire) and has all the power back again

thank you

Old 11-06-2023, 01:15 AM
JaysDurangoRT

Update:

So after logging 6000 miles the acceleration lag, is doing it again.

i attempted another Throttle body re learn
and another
and another

this time the procedure to re learn has not cured issue

maybe now its time for a new TPS?

Quick Reply: 2019 RT Throttle Hesitation