Cab lights Ram 3rd Gen by tdmopar59

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:21 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cab lights Ram 3rd Gen by tdmopar59

Installing cab lights on a 3rd gen ram that didn’t come with factory cab lights. I personally used a recon kit and I would imagine that is what most of you will be using. Now the first thing you have to do is remove the headliner all you have to do for this is.

1 take off the a pillars by using a 10mm socket to get the bolts out near the handle and than pop it off like a panel comes off.

2 Then use a torx head to get the three bolts out that hold up the mirror on the outer sides of the truck.

3 Use a flathead screwdriver to pop the lenses of the lights on your center overhead display off

4 use a torx head to take out the two silver screws holding it up.

5 Next the two parts that you push your visor into when your not using it actually separates and you have to pull the part closest to the windshield down and it will unclip.once that unclips your headliner will be able to be pulled down

6 lastly take off the black thing that holds up your center overhead console which is held up by two small black torx head screws

You do not need to lower the back half of the headliner down you have enough room in the front however if you feel the need you may I didn’t do it…. Next you will have to go outside the truck and start to align the cablights in order. I did mine the same as an OE dodge 2500.. the easiest way I found to do this and the most efficient was to make a template in a way. I did this by:

1 take a piece of wrapping paper 6inches by 52inches.

2 Measure the top side at 5-3/8 - 17-3/4 - 26 - 35 - 46-5/8

3 now do the same at the bottom side of the paper.

4 Connect your markings with a ruler to make them straight.your template is done.

5 Now to put your template to good use you must tape it from the edge of your roof where it meets the door while shut.that tape it at the same spot on
the other side.

6 check your first measurement from the door/roof spot to the line on your paper make sure it is 5 and 3/8Adjust as needed.

7 Now take a straightedge and a crayon (a color that will show up clear on your truck)Make sure the straightedge is long enough to go about two inches on your wrapping paper to about 4 inches away from the windshield.

8 Use the crayons to extend your lines on your template (the crayon comes right off when your done) set up the straightedge on the wrapping paper enough that you can follow the straight line and at most 4 inches away from the windshield.

You should now have the lines drawn PERFECTLY STRAIGHT on your cab with the crayon.

10 Take the first light on the drives side set it on the line so that through the screw holes you can see your crayon line through both holes (ensures that its straight)

11 Measure from the windshield to the front of the cablight and set it up so that it is at 6 inches.

12 One it is in the appropriate location tape it down over the top with painters tape to hold it in place.

13 Redo steps 7 through 11 til all of the cablights are set up HOWEVER the three center lights are 4 inches from the windshield the two outer are 6
inches from the windshield.

14 once all of these lights are taped in place get a 1/8 inch drill bit and prepare for the scary part.

15 Now drill the holes where the screws would go into the roof.

16 Take off the cab lights where they were taped and clean off the crayon.

Now because my truck did not come with factory cab lights the light bulb adapters were kinda pointless. So by cutting them off I had nothing but a positive and negative wire and was able to drill a much smaller hole which means less chance of a leak! So this is how im gonna continue my directions!

1 Cut off the bulb adapters that are on the endStrip about ¾ of an inch of the edges of each wiredo this for all 5 lights.

2 Now drill a hole 3/16 of an inch in the center of your two 1/8 inch holes. ( the middle is two inches from the hole!)

3 when you have drilled all of these holes you are ready to mount.line them up with the holes and the wires in their center hole

4 Take the screws and put one rubber washer on each.Now put one screw in each hole and tighten in down( I found it easier to tighten put one on half
way than put the back one on then tighten them both up instead of killing them on one at a time)

You now have them mounted it is time for the annoying part!!! WIRING

1 your cab lights should have a positive and negative wire already hanging down stripped

2 On the passenger side a pillar there is two wires going into a clip kinda thing.

3 I cut off the clip and used them as two regular wires they are hot wires when your running lights are on the yellow positive the red negative(on an 03)

4 Take standard wire and join it with the wire from your a pillar whether you solder tape of use an electrical sleeve its your choice.

5 Now run the wire up the a pillar and across the full cab so you can cut it to lenth.

6 Where you see the cab light wire you need to make an opening around the wire without cutting the wire

7 Wrap the wire from the cab light around the wire you are running and tape it.

8 Repeat 6 and 7 til all the lights are done and the last light gets wired as if the wire was going directly to that light.

9 Now do the same thing for the negative side.

Your cab lights should now be mounted and glowing when the running lights are on. Now just do the reverse process of taking the headliner down and your good to go!! Any questions pm me or email me!!

btw this is my first diy let me no how i did!! sorry no pics

Ram3rdGen

Quick Reply: Cab lights Ram 3rd Gen by tdmopar59