OTHER (please specify in a post)
8.70%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Tires (brands)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Gregborden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had all of my toyos sipped and think it is fantastic. I wasn't aware that it was getting difficult to find shops that did it. If you live in the west I think that any les Schwab will add sipping

Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC's here. Mean look, beautiful howl, decent ride dig fast in sand, and KING in the mud/ clay (easily cover the truck using 2wd), cleans out at low wheel speed. Best tire I've ever had and will probably buy again. Throw these on a daily driver/ weekend warrior and you will not be disappointed....

Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Optimus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gregborden
I've had all of my toyos sipped and think it is fantastic. I wasn't aware that it was getting difficult to find shops that did it. If you live in the west I think that any les Schwab will add sipping
We do not have any Les Schwabs near me. The shops that used to do siping said it was hard on the machines, particularly used tires, because it chewed up the blades and they were expensive. There is only one shop left in town that will do it, and they want $40 per tire (and they must be brand new, never used). So short of a tire grooving iron and a lot of patience, we don't have the option any more.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Lunchbucket

Yea they got them in the LT 10plys on the revo without loosin any traction. My cousin just got them on his 3500 says it feels like a new truck

Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM
DaveCinHutto
Amateur
Thumbs up Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P

Replacing the Wranglers OEM.
Sumitomo, balanced out .75oz,.5oz,.7oz and .25oz.
275/60 -20
Street use, lite hauling, wet weather and week end use. I ride a motorcycle as primary transportation.

Sumitomo, quite ride, radio off, windows up. To few miles and no rain yet. Well update as I gather information first hand.
Unit cost as of 2/12 $171, 838 for 4 mounted, balanced,valve stems.

The Wranglers has 3 to 5 oz weights front and back, they did not wear out but they got old and started separating , the vibration was horrible.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

I took advantage of NTB's sale last month (2 free!) and got the Cooper Discoverer LSX, 265-70-17.

So far I'm very happy with them, great wet traction, quiet and smooth ride. She's mainly a pavement queen, never gone mudding.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM
polarisracer55

Cooper St Maxx 285's!! Love em..they look awesome!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PRF66
OK, I got a rant and a question. I had Goodyear Wrangler HP 27560R20 on the truck as they came with it when new. Quad Cab 4X4 Hemi Inferno Red 2007. The tires were 43,500 miles along and ran great through the driving heavy snow at speeds to 60 mph and were smooth on dry pavement nice and quiet. So, I figured I am not down to the wear bar, but I got stuck in next to nothing depth mud and maybe I should get a new set. Set of 3. I mean why not? I got full size spare doing nothing so I go get 3 new Wranglers 10k miles ago. Immediately, I get a vibration in the right front, I have to duke it with some blond smart mouth at Goodyear store in NJ. You gotta leave the car overnight etc. I mean I just bought the tires on Sat. and brought it on Monday. So, her nonsense and three more trips to the store attitude gets me on the phone with Goodyear and all heck broke loose and I got satisfaction to a degree, but had to have Pep Boys balance the tires. Goodyear Store gave me a refund for the balancing. I STILL THINK THIS TRUCK HAS A SLIGHT BUT NOTABLE VIBRATION IN RIGHT FRONT. I swear it started with the tires, but I noticed the old right front was cupped a bit. I picked the best tire for a spare.
I want to get a set of Falken Wild Peak A/Ts, even though my Wrangler 20s just blew threw 10 inches of NJ snow in this blizzard today as I needed snow blower gasoline. I mean not a problem. Am I wrong with my opinion of the Wranglers? Why would anyone change to 17 inch rims? I see a few posts about changing. I mean what do you save? Fuel? Tire size costs? What do you guys think? Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Another reason for switching to 17s is wheel weight and towing capability. 20s increase your gear ratio (lower numerically), and reduce the amount you can tow. 20s are also heavier wheels; causing slower acceleration. Not the hot tip for racing or fuel economy.

As for getting stuck with the OEM Goodyears, I got stuck in my driveway once with one wheel in wet grass. Grrr. My drive has an incline; I wasn't very happy about that. Ordered my PowerTrax shortly thereafter. Haven't gotten stuck since.

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Oh, I'm sure both tires are extremely capable, but it is law in Germany that all vehicles on the road are equipped with rated tires during Winter months, either the "M+S", mountain insignia, or snowflake, certifying they are, at the least, all weather tires.
Northern Japan was the same way; had to have M+S tires for the colder six months. In Utah and Wyoming there were days you were required by law to have either 4wd or chains the weather would get so bad.

Originally Posted by DaveCinHutto
Replacing the Wranglers OEM.
Sumitomo, balanced out .75oz,.5oz,.7oz and .25oz.
275/60 -20
Street use, lite hauling, wet weather and week end use. I ride a motorcycle as primary transportation.

Sumitomo, quite ride, radio off, windows up. To few miles and no rain yet. Well update as I gather information first hand.
Unit cost as of 2/12 $171, 838 for 4 mounted, balanced,valve stems.

The Wranglers has 3 to 5 oz weights front and back, they did not wear out but they got old and started separating , the vibration was horrible.
I've got 46K on my Wrangler HPs now, and they are showing some wear, but I figure I've got another 10K in them yet. My buddy with an M3 was shocked when I told him they had 46K on them.
I've noticed a vibration in my truck also; thought it was my wheel covers being off-center but your post about separation has me wondering...

Looked up the Goodyear Duratecs; wow, they are HEAVY! 57lbs--275/65R20s are available (and several R17 sizes). Should hold up. The Cooper Zeons look good too.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 AM
DaveCinHutto
Amateur

If you go smaller well there be a problem with the speedometer? I don't know how dodge does the conversion from wheel size. I had a S-10 that required a gear replacement for the speedometer cable but now days I would bet on it being a computer function.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave I had those same Sumitomos when I blew a rear before I got my lift and my current tires and in my opinion they SUCK just as bad as the Wranglers. Actually I'm pretty sure my Wranglers were better than those. I live in FL so I get wet driving experience almost every week and they are terrible on wet roads. I couldn't give the truck any gas in a turn or else the tires would break loose and try to send me sideways. I HATE Sumitomos

Quick Reply: Tires (brands)