Differential Fluid Change Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Differential Fluid Change Tutorial

Heres a quick tut for changing out your differential fluid. Its not hard at all. So now you dont have an excuse to not do this at the recommended intervals.

Step #1 Gather proper tools and equipment.

You will need a 3/8" drive socket set, enough diff fluid of the proper weight, an oil pan, bucket, or something to catch the old fluid in, and some sort of heavy duty cleaner or degreaser (i used brake parts cleaner)

you might also need some RTV if you dont have a gasket on your cover.

Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  111.6 KB

Step # 2 Place drip pan under Diff, and start removing Bolts

You need to remove the bolts starting from the bottom and work your way up. This will allow the fluid to start draining without making a huge mess.

Name:  DSC_0004.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 2377
Size:  99.2 KB

Step #3 Allow fluid to drain and remove cover

Wait a few minutes with only the top two bolts loosely in place for the rest of the fluid to drain out. Next remove your cover.

Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  105.0 KB

Step #4 Clean out pumpkin/cover and inspect Gears and Gasket

Using a clean rag wipe out all the excess fluid from the bottom of the differential. Use this time to inspect your gears for any abnormal wear or chips, or anything out of the ordinary. DONT USE CLEANER INSIDE THE DIFF!! you most likely wont be able to get it all out, and it could prematurely break down the viscosity of your new fluid. Next, inspect your cover gasket if equipped, and clean out the inside of the cover using the cleaner of your choice.

Name:  DSC_0014.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  101.6 KB

Step #5 Optional Step

If you have been wanting to get a new diff cover, but dont want to spend the money, you can paint the cover with a can of high temp paint and replace the bolts (I used grade 8 bolts, got them from NAPA), the results will surprise you! And it only takes a few minutes.

Step #6 Replace diff cover

Line up your gasket, or apply RTV gasket maker according to the directions on the package, and put your diff cover back on. torque down bolts according to specs. (in my case it was 30 ft/lbs) I also torqued bolts down in a criss cross pattern to avoid warping the cover.

Step #7 Fill Diff with Correct amount of fluid

To take out the fill plug simply use a 3/8" drive socket wrench. Next fill with diff fluid. (my 10.5" rear took 3 quarts) fill until fluid is just below the fill hole. Next replace fill plug, and torque to specs (24 ft/lbs)

Name:  DSC_0017.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0018.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0016.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  75.3 KB

Step #8 Stand back, and enjoy the fruits of your labor

Also, check for leaks. Those are bad.

Name:  IMG_1027.jpg