3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

need to improve gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgeCumminsBeast
Next time buy a Dodge with a Cummins Diesel. I get 29 mpg average (15 with 16000lbs behind it.) I also have a 2003 Dodge with a 5.9 Gas V8 and get 19. I used to get 13 when i first bough it. A good reusable air filter, nice exhaust, headers, and no cats has made a huge difference in mileage. A tuner also helped, but only 2mpg. If you have a diesel, put a boost fooler on it, and 8 inch straight pipe exhaust.
I sir, am not a believer. My CTD, if I'm GENTLE, will pull 18/19mpg on the highway, hand calc.
I have seen 25+mpg.. downhill.. with a tail wind... and the foot off the skinny.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 PM
mert34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time buy a Dodge with a Cummins Diesel. I get 29 mpg average (15 with 16000lbs behind it.) I also have a 2003 Dodge with a 5.9 Gas V8 and get 19. I used to get 13 when i first bough it. A good reusable air filter, nice exhaust, headers, and no cats has made a huge difference in mileage. A tuner also helped, but only 2mpg. If you have a diesel, put a boost fooler on it, and 8 inch straight pipe exhaust.
nice three year old bump. lol. at least someone was searching. i have nothing to add to this though...

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 AM
scooper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Find ethanol free fuel

Hi all, new to the forum.

I have an '08 QC, 5.7 automatic. I drive a route all day, city roads and neighborhoods making 25 - 35 stops a day. No towing, but by days end there's a few hundred lbs. of bagged up dog crap in the back. Not enough to phase anything.

I was averaging 10.5 - 11 mpg on my routes, using Sunoco near my house because I knew they had new tanks in the ground. Right around the end of April the mpg dropped to around 9. I figured they added something that did not agree with it. In the mean time I switched to Mobil and got back up to 10.5 - 11. In my continued search for a more compatible gas, I found a great website that lists ethanol free gas stations by state.

http://pure-gas.org/

It costs around $0.27 more per gallon in my area, but the mileage has more than made up for it. I am now on my 3rd full tank of it and mileage has increased to 13.5 for my route driving. That's over a 20% increase in fuel economy. In my business gas is my biggest expense (besides my paycheck ), so that's a huge savings.

I am and always have been light on the gas and brake pedals, accelerating slowly and coasting forever. I have not tested the mpg on the highway yet. But I do try to get the MDS to kick in asap when on surface roads.

Unless your vehicle is a Flex Fuel, ethanol will rob you of mileage, and it is just not good for your fuel system.

Give it a try if there is a station in your area.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper
Hi all, new to the forum.

I was averaging 10.5 - 11 mpg on my routes, using Sunoco near my house because I knew they had new tanks in the ground. Right around the end of April the mpg dropped to around 9. I figured they added something that did not agree with it. In the mean time I switched to Mobil and got back up to 10.5 - 11. In my continued search for a more compatible gas, I found a great website that lists ethanol free gas stations by state.

http://pure-gas.org/

It costs around $0.27 more per gallon in my area, but the mileage has more than made up for it. I am now on my 3rd full tank of it and mileage has increased to 13.5 for my route driving. That's over a 20% increase in fuel economy. In my business gas is my biggest expense (besides my paycheck ), so that's a huge savings.

Unless your vehicle is a Flex Fuel, ethanol will rob you of mileage, and it is just not good for your fuel system.

Give it a try if there is a station in your area.
Yep, I've posted that site on here a few times. Gotta agree with you, I get about 2 mpg better fuel economy with 100% gas over E10. Although I have to disagree with one thing, even flex fuel Rams suffer about the same losses with E10 as non-flex fuel trucks in my experience.

I'm amazed I can't find a station with it up near the farm in south Georgia where there are a good many small independent stations. Closest one I've found is 38 miles away, making it almost impossible to get it when I'm up at the farm. Thankfully that one station is in a town I pass thru to get to the farm.

While I'm in Florida, there are two stations near me. One about 2 miles and the other about 12. The bi*ch here is the one 2 miles away doesn't take credit cards (or debit or ATM or whatever). Strictly a cash shop and with the price of gas nowadays, I never carry that kind of cash for a $75+ fill-up. I have to consciously remember to hit the bank for cash which is a PIA cause it's about 6 miles in the other direction. The plus is the guy tends to be 2-5 cents cheaper per gallon with his 93 octane than all the "chain" stations with their E10.

Because of the inconvenience, I find myself saying f*ck it once in a while and filling up with E10 at another station, just to get pissed off when I average 2-2.5 mpg less...

Oh, and I also don't buy the 29 mpg average with the 1999 CTD. Best I know of with a pre-'04.5 CTD is 22-23 on the highway and high teens over all average. I had a mid '90s diesel, granted it was a 7.3 PowerStroke, but I never saw 20 mpg. Might have on strictly highway with no load, but if I was on the interstate, I was towing the boat.

I also owned a 5.9 gasser as you claim to have in your '03 Ram and had trouble averaging just double digit fuel economy and I installed headers, removed the cats, installed non-foulers, used a drop-in K&N and had two very high CFM mufflers. I usually got about 8-9 mpg in town and could maybe nip 12 mpg on trips IF I wasn't towing the boat AND kept it around 65 MPH. Granted I had 35" tires with 5" of lift/level, but ain't no way I'm believing 19 mpg even with stock size tires.

I think it's time for that evening math class...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-31-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Cthulhu
Captain

Here... maybe this will help..

http://neosocketstore.com/testimonials.htm

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey! I did the moped thing had to have been around '82 when I was fifteen. My city passed an ordinance then that let you operate a moped by yourself when to operate a motorcycle you needed to be with someone and of course, in a car, had to have a licensed driver with you with a learner's permit.

I had a paper route that took up a good 10 rural country miles and the moped made short work of it. Was a shaft driven Yamaha and got damn near 100 MPGs while maintaining 30 mph. I had a '78 Honda Hawk 400cc bike at the time, but between the law making me have someone with me and it being more practical to use the moped, I bought it. I remember the Yamaha dealer had leftovers on sale from $795 regular price to $599 when the following year model hit the shops. I haggled them down to $525 and jumped on it (literally).
I ended up pulling the governor out of it and getting about 42 mph out of the thing but at the expense of a good 30 mpgs or so. Still, 60 mpg wasn't at all bad and the extra 12 mph blew away anybody else with a moped, LOL.

I only really used it heavy for that first year and after I got my drivers' license it was onto driving my motorcycle and my 4x4 (a Jeep Honcho 4x4 at that time). I gave my mom the moped and she ended up finding a little women's club that did rides all over the place, sometimes as many as a dozen of them.

I was long since out of college and move to Georgia, got married when my parents retired and moved to Florida, my mom sold the thing to a local paper boy in '94 for $75 when they had a garage/yard sale prior to moving. At 12 years old it still ran like a top...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-31-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Hey! I did the moped thing had to have been around '82 when I was fifteen. My city passed an ordinance then that let you operate a moped by yourself when to operate a motorcycle you needed to be with someone and of course, in a car, had to have a licensed driver with you with a learner's permit.

I had a paper route that took up a good 10 rural country miles and the moped made short work of it. Was a shaft driven Yamaha and got damn near 100 MPGs while maintaining 30 mph. I had a '78 Honda Hawk 400cc bike at the time, but between the law making me have someone with me and it being more practical to use the moped, I bought it. I remember the Yamaha dealer had leftovers on sale from $795 regular price to $599 when the following year model hit the shops. I haggled them down to $525 and jumped on it (literally).
I ended up pulling the governor out of it and getting about 42 mph out of the thing but at the expense of a good 30 mpgs or so. Still, 60 mpg wasn't at all bad and the extra 12 mph blew away anybody else with a moped, LOL.

I only really used it heavy for that first year and after I got my drivers' license it was onto driving my motorcycle and my 4x4 (a Jeep Honcho 4x4 at that time). I gave my mom the moped and she ended up finding a little women's club that did rides all over the place, sometimes as many as a dozen of them.

I was long since out of college and move to Georgia, got married when my parents retired and moved to Florida, my mom sold the thing to a local paper boy in '94 for $75 when they had a garage/yard sale prior to moving. At 12 years old it still ran like a top...

I used to ride one occasionally just like that except it was yellow. It was one of my grandma's patients (owned an adult foster care) I was 8 yrs old, I'd give him $5 for gas and he'd let me ride it all day...$5 to him was even more than it was to me, he felt like he was Mr. money bags with that $5.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
I sir, am not a believer. My CTD, if I'm GENTLE, will pull 18/19mpg on the highway, hand calc.
I have seen 25+mpg.. downhill.. with a tail wind... and the foot off the skinny.
Yeah, I agree. I'm thinkin' sound the horns and raise the BS flag on that one. Someone's relying WAY too much on the computer.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Methinks Ernie gave up after that one post.

Quick Reply: need to improve gas mileage