3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

UPDATE!!! INSTALLED MY CAI ***PICS***

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
CRMRAM
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAI HELP!!!! INSTALL HELP PLEASE *PICS*

ORIGINAL: daytona1680

ORIGINAL: CRMRAM

you dont need to install that sensor, you can just let it lay on top of the engine, or tape it to the CAI
That sensor tells your computer how much fuel to add to the engine by the temp.of the air comming in.Of coarse you need it.Putting the CAI tubing into the hemi box is the same as having it it connected straight to the throttle body.THe Hemi hat isn't like thge 3.7 or 4,7L hats since those are almost little tanks which hold air there.The hemi hat has a curved tube so it go straight to the engine.
It needs to be plugged into the wiring harness but it dosnt need to be inserted into the CAI tube
TRUE.....but it would render the intake worthless,reading the hot heat from the engine as the temp thus cutting performance.If its plugged into the CAI tubing you will notice a slight performance gain since the air is going so fast through the tubing it doesn't have time to heat up as it makes its way to the throttle body.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

you dont need to install that sensor, you can just let it lay on top of the engine, or tape it to the CAI
That sensor tells your computer how much fuel to add to the engine by the temp.of the air comming in.Of coarse you need it.Putting the CAI tubing into the hemi box is the same as having it it connected straight to the throttle body.THe Hemi hat isn't like thge 3.7 or 4,7L hats since those are almost little tanks which hold air there.The hemi hat has a curved tube so it go straight to the engine.
It needs to be plugged into the wiring harness but it dosnt need to be inserted into the CAI tube

TRUE.....but it would render the intake worthless,reading the hot heat from the engine as the temp thus cutting performance.If its plugged into the CAI tubing you will notice a slight performance gain since the air is going so fast through the tubing it doesn't have time to heat up as it makes its way to the throttle body.
That is also true. But for better performance you put on a CAI that will supply alot of air, then take the IAT sensor and extend the wires so that the sensor is near a opening where cold air comes in. I have the power wire on my truck and also pulled the sensor wires free from the harness that they are inserted in on the intake manifold and that gave me enough slack to position the sensor where there is cool outside air coming in to my engine bay, I know that this really wont help the people who arepretty much stock; I will find out if it makesmuch difference on my next dyno run ( I had the sensor taped to the firewall the last sunday when I was on the dyno,next time it will be behind my hood scoop opening. I know of a handfull of people who have relocated their sensors

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ORIGINAL: derricksmash

lol @ taping it.

anyways, yea highduke...you're a dork...you didn't knwo you didn't buy a full intake...lol. you have one like mine:
[img][http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/4/5/1/f_engine01m_8992f84.jpg[/img]

i think you have your pipes reversed though...i don't think it's supposed to bend up like that. the part that your filter is on i bet actually goes into the resonator. try it, i bet it fits in there better.

i cant see the pic...

Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
CRMRAM
Veteran

That is also true. But for better performance you put on a CAI that will supply alot of air, then take the IAT sensor and extend the wires so that the sensor is near a opening where cold air comes in. I have the power wire on my truck and also pulled the sensor wires free from the harness that they are inserted in on the intake manifold and that gave me enough slack to position the sensor where there is cool outside air coming in to my engine bay, I know that this really wont help the people who arepretty much stock; I will find out if it makesmuch difference on my next dyno run ( I had the sensor taped to the firewall the last sunday when I was on the dyno,next time it will be behind my hood scoop opening. I know of a handfull of people who have relocated their sensors
I get where you going.I did the same on my 4.7L.I also had the powerwire and extended the IAT to the opening on my Goodhood.I did notice a peppier engine but it wasn't a drastic change.What intake are you running?
I was running a 4" piping AEM Brute force knock off.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:49 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

I make all of my own CAI's. I had a dual cone CAI, but when I put my engine backtogether after doing some engine work I just threw on a 4x9" AEM dryflow filter, until I get around to welding up my new dual cone CAI. With the new setup my filters will be down in the front bumper. my old setup I had a filter right behind my hood scoop opening, and one in the stock location

Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

Highduke, your truck looks great man...That intake looks very shiny

Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
toxdoc
Veteran

HighDuke1911:

I wanted to keep my Hemi-Hat too on my CAI choice for several reasons which I won't go into now - but that is the reason that I choose the AFE High Breather CAI - if you don't want the Hemi-Hat is seems the Ram Hammer CAI is currently the 'one-of-choice' by many owners.
As I viewed your installation pictures it has reminded me of a cheap but effective mod if you happen to be somewhat paranoid as I tend to be at times:
I have fabricated and installed an overflow drain tube that connects to the curved overflow stubby spout and run it down the side of the radiator to exit to the ground. It is probably overkill to do this but the last thing I wanted to happen is for the truck to overheat and douche the exposed filter with coolant -perhaps ruining the filter at the least or worse sucking up enough coolant to lock-up the engine.
ps: Your engine and installation looks very nice.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:31 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

that's probably one of the best intakes I have seen, bar none. Its smooth, and sticks the filter as far away from the engine as possible. This looks like it would be more effective than a K&N to me. Good purchase, I might be buying the same.

Quick Reply: UPDATE!!! INSTALLED MY CAI ***PICS***