3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So I drove Cooper Zeon LTZ's in snow last week...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review DD. I'm looking at getting a set next year, or maybe sooner. I really don't like these OEM Wranglers. In the summers, I only drive the Ram when it's wet out (otherwise I'm on the motorcycle) or if I'm hauling something. In the winter, it's usually wet in some form.

joe

Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LinerJoe
Thanks for the review DD. I'm looking at getting a set next year, or maybe sooner. I really don't like these OEM Wranglers. In the summers, I only drive the Ram when it's wet out (otherwise I'm on the motorcycle) or if I'm hauling something. In the winter, it's usually wet in some form.

joe

Wet roads and Wrangler HP's = Nightmare!!!

Terrible, terrible tire for any weather conditions. Unless the truck is driving in a straight pattern on constant highways on dry pavement, that's when i would reccomend those tires...lmao
I cannot understand how they can get so much money for those tires. They are super soft on turns, sidewalls are soft. They are basically a car tire mounted on a Truck! Chrysler uses them because they give the truck a softer ride quality and they have less rolling resistance for a cheater way to get "better" gas mileage.

Go check out the reviews from those tires on TireRack and they rank something terrible like 70 out of 80 or so tires. Ofcourse 1 being the best and 80 being the worst.

I bought mine from Disconttiredirect.com for $166each shipped.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-23-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Yeah, I agree. I see you have them in the stock size. Do you have a leveling kit on your ride? I just put the HBS 2.5" left on mine, and I'm not sure I want to keep the stock size, although I think they look fine. The LTZ's look more aggressive anyway, and should look better than the OEM's, although I'm more concerned with their performance.

joe

Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

No leveling kit. I like the factory offset stance.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

Originally Posted by jankerson
Well going just alittle slower in the snow will help.

A note also that NOT putting the truck in 4wd until needed will also help because it's like driving a fwd car in the snow. The car will push because the front tires are spinning and lose traction.

One of the reasons I really don't like 4x4's in ice and snow so I used to keep them in 2wd, they drove better. Trust me it will keep you out of a ditch.

Also the reason I have a 2wd truck now.

It's easier to steer with the gas peddle than with the brakes in the snow.

Drive both cars and trucks in the snow when I lived in MD, they didn't plow the back roads were I lived much, lots of hills etc.

here In Syracuse NY if you aint got 4x4 ur gonna be spinning alot. any rear wheel drive trucks have issues with traction. I have the stock good year HP's and I have to use 4 wheel almost every day or i would be stuck turning corners. slowing down just enough to make the corner the tires dont wanna keep connected to the ground. also it would take me almost a mile to get up to the speed limit... the truck is spin happy. I LUV IT!

I had a 250 also and I had same issues as i do now. I had 600lbs in the bed 4 plowing. I had snow tires then too. mastercraft coursers.. nice tire but in the lake effect we get its heavy and slushy most of the time. just need to drive slow.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I live in Auburn, about 20 mins from Syracuse. Just south of the real lake-effect pounding that the Lake Ontario towns get. Very few trucks around here are 4x2, but I find the only advantage is starting from a stop on a hill. Once the rears hook up, my 4x2 has no problems. 300# of sand in the bed, a few pounds of air out of the rear tires, and a light foot on the gas and clutch will get by. I also swapped out the garbage Goodyear SR-A's for some bigger Coopers. Excellent tire for the price.

That being said, 4x4 is a nice backup...my buddies' 4x4 Hemi is a beast in the snow. If you really want to get around in Central NY winters, you need something with 2 skis, a paddle track and a 2 stroke motor

Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 AM
jankerson
Professional

Originally Posted by talon6
so what you are saying is that a 2wd truck is better in the snow and such compared to a 4x4? .........no,freakin way.
Tell that to all the 4x4 drivers I went by stuck or flipped over in ditches while driving my '84 Camaro EVERY winter for 10 Winters on the back roads. LOL

I never said better though... It's just safer to be in 2wd in certian road conditions. I will have to agree that when 1st starting out having a 4x4 is nice.

Also in slushy wet snow a 4x4 would be better for sure as 2wds are terrible in wet snow.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:30 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Thanks for the review Dirty. I planned on getting these tires within the next 2 weeks anyway, but you just made my decision even more firm. Especially since I have a 2wd and will be moving to Denver soon! Thanks man.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:05 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i appreciate the cooper review seeing that i want to get a set before next winter and this definatly confirms my choice. I did alot of 4x4 driving in the snow this past weekend as well with the stock goodyears and they werent too bad, its funny how the hp's are worse in the rain then in the snow. but after using 4x4 for the first time in a while i forgot how mich i love it!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:28 AM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell that to all the 4x4 drivers I went by stuck or flipped over in ditches while driving my '84 Camaro EVERY winter for 10 Winters on the back roads. LOL
That's because those drivers don't know how to drive...4x4 or not. That's half the issue, some of these idiots get in their 4x4 and think they can go anywhere or do anything. Regardless of your vehicles capabilities, you always need be aware and drive as the conditions warrant.

BTW, those tires look sweet, too bad they don't make them in 17", or I might have gotten them.

Last edited by osufans; 12-24-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: So I drove Cooper Zeon LTZ's in snow last week...