3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

87 octane in HEMI = Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Uh........does anyone have a service bulletin saying where Dodge changed the octant ratings or is everyone going off the word of a shop mechanics when they are known for saying something to jack the bill up.

Ive got AllData and Mitchell OnDemand and havent seen anything about rasing the octant levels.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:19 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattg1500
I have a 4wd ram and recently got a check engine light. Brought it to a shop and they got an egr code. after further diagnosis the tech called me into the shop and said, "you run regular dont you" I said yes. he showed me an egr and some solenoids and wires and a port all clogged solid with carbon. He asked if my mpg's progressivly got worse I said yes again. On his computer he showed me where dodge changed the info on their end and not on the customers. My manual says 87 octane. on the program the tech had it said " revised: 87 octane in 5.7 2wd only 4wd models require 91 octane" in the end it cost me $610 to fix the problem. just wanted to give a heads up and see if anyone else has heard of this
I'm more interested in where you get your fuel....octane rating has nothing to do with carbon build up while the detergents added into fuel do. You can buy 91 oct all day long at the cheapest gas station but there still isn't any detergents in it. Also the stock tune is very rich from the factory and causes excessive soot....this would also explain the clogged egr tube and again having nothing to do with octane. My tailpipe use to be pitch black before I put the tune in...and every untuned ram i've seen has the same problem.

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 04-12-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog

Here's a quick lesson... The Northstar engine GM produced for the Cadillac's requires 91octane. if you put 93octane you cannot do any harm to the engine. if you put in 87 or 89 octane you will damage the engine. octane is a one way streak. You can always go up, but you can never go down. Hope this helps.
dont put racing fuel in your motor!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:15 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nim81
dont put racing fuel in your motor!

Originally Posted by DirtyDog
Did you read what I posted? A higher Octane that you purchase from the gas station can no way in hell be bad for your engine.
I stated this in my first post! You can't buy race fuel at the local gas station. It's a "special" request and use specific, so it will only be at airports, raceways and some speed shops.

Race fuel is only bad for the catalytic converters because the leaded fuel clogs them up. however, most places carry 102 Low-lead which is much safer for cars. You'd have to use it all the time before any problems.

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I'm more interested in where you get your fuel....octane rating has nothing to do with carbon build up while the detergents added into fuel do. You can buy 91 oct all day long at the cheapest gas station but there still isn't any detergents in it. Also the stock tune is very rich from the factory and causes excessive soot....this would also explain the clogged egr tube and again having nothing to do with octane. My tailpipe use to be pitch black before I put the tune in...and every untuned ram i've seen has the same problem.
I have already stated that the factory tune is not optimal...i.e.too rich Also, the grade of the fuel was never said anywhere to have detergents or act as any cleaning agent. If you read my previous post I said the Detonation from using a lower grade fuel causes build-up. It's not that the lower grade fuel is "dirtier" per say, but that it generally leaves a sootier residue than a higher octane in the same engine if and only if detonation is occurring. A higher octane helps prevent against detonation.

Now,onto the black in the tailpipe..... i agree that an aftermarket tune does more justice than afactory tune as far as build-up. However, some guys will still get some minor build up because they drive like Ms. Daisy....lol

Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

I stated this in my first post! You can't buy race fuel at the local gas station. It's a "special" request and use specific, so it will only be at airports, raceways and some speed shops.

Now,onto the black in the tailpipe..... i agree that an aftermarket tune does more justice than afactory tune as far as build-up. However, some guys will still get some minor build up because they drive like Ms. Daisy....lol
About 1/2 mile from my house they sell 100 octane hi performance fuel at the pump. usually 5 bucks a gal or so. and its just a run o the mill Rebel gas station out here, available just as easily as 91 or Diesel is.

haha, im one of those Ms Daisy drivers always tryin to keep the mpgs up, but i do take it out and let it breathe once in a while because of that.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I have already stated that the factory tune is not optimal...i.e.too rich Also, the grade of the fuel was never said anywhere to have detergents or act as any cleaning agent. If you read my previous post I said the Detonation from using a lower grade fuel causes build-up. It's not that the lower grade fuel is "dirtier" per say, but that it generally leaves a sootier residue than a higher octane in the same engine if and only if detonation is occurring. A higher octane helps prevent against detonation.

I didn't read the thread so I dunno what you're talking about...I was responding to the OP

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
mattg1500

I usually stick to Hess gas cuz it runs best on that. I brought the truck to a shop where i have family working there and have been going there for a few years and built a few 4x4's for guys there so I dooo trust them. if i didnt they would NOT be touching my truck. I dont know what program they use(mitchell or alldata etc) but i saw the screen, the guy gladly showed me, and showed me a burnt sensor and where the egr port was clogged. i keep up with all the maintence and fluids so this was a surprise to me

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I didn't read the thread so I dunno what you're talking about...I was responding to the OP

LMAO......some threads can get monotonous to read every detail of every post. I'll let this one slide.........aahahahahahahaha

Old 04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 162 Likes on 149 Posts

our hemi needed an EGR replacement as well..dad just let the dealer do it. He runs 87 in it, but it's almost 100% highway miles so not alot of engine load.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
My '03 manual says 91 recommended, 89 acceptable, 87 only if necessary, 93 not recommended. Same for my C. I mix 87 and 93 to approximate 90/91. There are many posts on several forums, "I've run 87 for a while, no issues and no change in power or mileage..." Here's evidence to follow the book.
According to any manual I have for a 2003, 89 octane is RECOMMENDED, but 87 is ACCEPTABLE. 91 is not recommended by OEM, but IS recommended by programmer manufacturers if you are using a "performance" program. I have the page here from the owner's manual.

Quick Reply: 87 octane in HEMI = Trouble