3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Port and polishing a 4.7l throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 PM
badblackram06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats not a bad deal for the guy to do it but i think im about to tackle it myself. I messed around with it last night and used a metal deburr bit and shaved a small amount off, especially closer to the butterfly flap, just to see how it would do. i cleaned all the shavings off and put it back on and noticed the whistle from the tb spacer did get louder. Usually the whistle started around 1500 rpms when taking off now it starts around 900 to 1000.. i fixing to purchased a port and polishing kit from summit racing so i can get it all done at the same time. it comes with the grinding bits and some cross hactched polishing brush bits. i think the kit cost a little over 30 bucks. and they fit any dremel or burr grinder.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Matt Herman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing The TB

badblackram06 this is worth the time. I did do it to my 06. If you look at the inside of the TB you will notice just inside the flap its actually smaller in in the center which of course will restrict flow, almost a ridge. Remove the TB and remove the flap. Clamp to a solid surface and you will have all the access you need to do this. If you do it right it should be level and smooth all the way thru. Mark the flap area on the inside of the TB first before you begin and stay away from that area, you can ruin it if you grind that area, besides its the largest area of the TB so you don't need to shave that area, from the shutter to the front is what your gunning for. Take your time. Took me about 2- hours. I did notice the difference in the acceleration. GOOD LUCK.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

3yr old thread, but thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Port and polishing a 4.7l throttle body