3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

This is my last Ram, never again

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Tazman40
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every make truck has its issues.I had a 02 GMC sierra that ate up front wheel bearings like a kid eating candy.My old boss was a Ford man and the last one he bought had the tranny split after one month and like two months later the primary turbo coughed and sucked it threw the secondary.21 hours later in labor it was fixed.Yes it was all under warranty but it would make me wonder down the road.A buddy of mine is also a Ford man and is doing front end work all the time.

My point along with alot of others is no matter what you own there are good and bad.I have been a Gm man all my life and just bought a 06 1500 Sport last week and tomarrow it goes back for tie rod ends.My thought is ,**** happens.Ya im not excited about tie rods needing replaced with 20k miles on them but oh well.If you want something made thats reliable and cheap to maintain you might want to start looking for something built back in the 60's or 70's.Find a Ford truck with a 300 I-6 in it and you can rebuild it for pennys,or stick with what you have and expect high cost maint. Its just they way it is today,build them cheaper and let the owner worry about it.
By the way,I love my new to me Dodge.I just wish i had made the switch 20 years ago.The power and handleing is top shelf,IMHO,compared to any GM i have owned and theres been alot of them.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea H.H.,
Dodge didnt screw up in 06. Dodge didn't screw up in 07. Dodge screwed up on YOURS in 06 and MINE in 07. I'm sure they were started on a Friday, finished on a Monday haha. I am not happy with the reliability of this truck, but I am happy with the power and looks.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
HoustonHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by Matt99
yea H.H.,
Dodge didnt screw up in 06. Dodge didn't screw up in 07. Dodge screwed up on YOURS in 06 and MINE in 07. I'm sure they were started on a Friday, finished on a Monday haha. I am not happy with the reliability of this truck, but I am happy with the power and looks.
You're more than likely right about that. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the truck looks, (06 Dodge Ram Laramie Pearl Blue) with all the bells and whistles. I love the way the truck handles, (or at least I did before the shocks went out), and I love the power (when the engine is working correct).

I'll get my wallet out and get it all fixed and then decide whether to keep it or not. Hopefully this will be last time for a while. I'm just pissed off for the moment.

H.H.

Last edited by HoustonHEMI; 05-31-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Matt99
Champion

If there wasn't a warranty on my truck, it would have been traded in after my 3rd dealer trip (first three times were for the same thing) but I'm giving Dodge a try for the first time....maybe the later miles won't sway me the same way the first 25K did. Good luck H.H. and hope you don't have any more trouble. Might want to call the Lemon line if it does!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by HoustonHEMI
And who the hell puts only 10,000 miles on a vehicle in a year, you? If that's all then either you must leave your truck in the garage or you live in some Po-Dunk town where everything is within 5 miles of each other.
Ad hominem attacks as a rebuttal?

I drive my truck as a daily driver, and I use it to tow a travel trailer for camping. I drive about 6,000-8,000 miles per year and have done the same for the last 20 years regardless of whether it was a 10,000 population town or over a million population city (Phoenix, Az).

The argument can be made that low yearly mileage is actually bad for the vehicle, or at least the drivetrain, as a lot of time is spent before components are at normal operating temperature and before lubrication has recoated everything.

You started the thread with a strong emotional tone, and related your experience with two vehicles. One of them you apparently really liked because you bought another of the same make/model.

You are having problems with the second vehicle, and your concern is that the manufacturer "knows" about a problem but won't fix it because it is out of warranty. I doubt that anybody on this board actually knows the total number of blend door assemblies that were manufactured, installed, and defective. Dealing with anecdotal data feeds the emotional response. Yes, YOU are personally affected and, yes, others have reported the same problem. However, the actual failure rate is unknown. People do not generally report how wonderful things are, only things that affect them directly. A "known" problem does not necessarily equate to a "problem".

Have you exercised any additional customer service resources, such as calling Chrysler directly and expressing your frustration and concern? In other words, have you given the *manufacturer* the opportunity to make right rather than the local dealer/service department?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

Thats what happens when you buy first year/new model. Live and learn. I have an 05 ram last year of that body style and havent fixed anything on it since day 1 other then fluids filters and plugs. Maybe you should buy a toyota they have good warranties. My brother bought one bran new in 97 and last year they recalled the frame on the truck and gave him 150% of the vehicles value. So he ended up with about 10,000 for a truck 11 years old with huge miles on it.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoustonHEMI
Yea yea yea the Pinto, I remember them well. I actually drove one back in high school and college. Do you remember them White Knight ~chuckling~ or did you just read about them? I see you're 19 years old so must have read about it? In addition your "EVERY CAR COMPANY IN THE WORLD WILL DO THE EXACT SAME THING" holds little water. I've had Toyota, Chevy and Ford make good on defects in the past.

And who the hell puts only 10,000 miles on a vehicle in a year, you? If that's all then either you must leave your truck in the garage or you live in some Po-Dunk town where everything is within 5 miles of each other.

My last Chevy had over 200,000 miles before I traded it in on the 2004 RAM and it didn't have the issues my current 06 has.

You're obviously caught up in the "Dodge Hype" refusing to believe anything else could possibly be as good as Dodge. Well I've had Dodge, Chevy, Ford, and Toyota and judging from personal experience this 06 is the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

And one more thing, try going back and reading my thread in an unbiased state. You might be surprised to see where I stated my 04 RAM was a great truck. I wish I would have kept it.

H.H.
I am not caught up in a dodge hype I used to own a Ford and my father has driven chevy most of his life and we have something in common by driving an 04 and okay I agree 10k is low so make it 5yrs and its the average 12k they say you should put on a vehicle per year and yes you could say I read about in a Legal Law class and every company makes a decision before they put out a recall on a part or vehicle as to whether or not it would cost more to pay people for injuries resulted from failure of the part or cost more to replace the part in all vehicles and also I do not live in a po dunk town otherwise we would be in the same place lol but aside from that you are 1 owner who got a bad vehicle and one of a few I have a friend with an 06 avalanche that he has had nothing but problems with so good luck and hopefully your lemon is a little bit sweeter next time

Old 06-01-2009, 04:59 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Dude, When life gives you lemons, just say 'F--k the lemons,' and bail. Don't forget that modern car and trucks aren't made like the were 50 years ago, modern vehicles are "throw away" after use. Everybody wants power and luxury at a cheap price so consequently more and more things are made of plastic to save weight so "chrysler plant of mexico" doesn't have to build a 450hp motor for our trucks to safely merge onto a freeway. I agree with most of you on here, it seems with most modern cars it's a crapshoot on whether you got strong plastic or not. With the exception of course being Porsche, still it's own company and never sacraficing quality control.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

They all have there known quirks and issues. I had a Furd that had a piston crack at 14,000 miles, left me stranded while towing my bass boat home from a tourney. It wasn't the fact the engine failed that has me swearing off Furd forever, but the fight I had with them to fix it under warranty.
If you think it's just Dodge, take a gander at the Furd and Cheby forums...

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about your luck with the truck, but switching to another brand won't solve all your problems....every company has their issues, thats the way things are....personally, I can't complain at all with dodge....I've owned 7 dodge trucks froma 76 Power Wagon to my 05 Ram i have now....haven't had an issue with any of them that I would blame dodge for.....yeah they've had an issue here or there, but nothing more then normal wear and tear

good luck with whatever you do in the future, but everyone has issues...just don't hear about some of em untill you own one