3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Homemade Tow Hooks... DONE. (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:29 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!!! I think I'd go back with a dremel and clean up the holes you cut in the valance alittle bit more but other than that great job.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 PM
dodg360
Rookie

I think they look really good! Gotta love those cheap mods!!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Great job!!! Welds look real good too, I got the gas kit with my MIG, but have yet to even unbox it or pick up a bottle, but I can't do anything looks that good with fluxcore or my stick welder.
I could probably braze with my gas kit about that good, but of course that ain't got the same tensile strength as a good weld.

I cheated, drilled a couple holes on my winch mount, got some stainless grade 8 U-Bolts and a couple shackles to hang from them.

Name:  101_0382.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  65.7 KB

Old 07-02-2009, 05:10 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Welds look better than my popcorn machine(fluxcore junk)

Do you think you have enough room to get the tow hooks around them without beating up your bumper? I always thought the hooks were on the close side to the painted bumper.
At any rate...You saved yourself $150 and now have closed loops instead of open.

It was a fluxcore. ha. And about the clearance... I dont really know, I dont have a strap to test with. If its a problem i will get some shackles to help connect the strap to them.
But like i said, theyre more for looks. Im afraid to use them because im not too sure about the welds...

Old 07-02-2009, 06:12 PM
MontanaRAM
Captain

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
Im afraid to use them because im not too sure about the welds...
pull em, grind em and reweld em. it's hard to see but did you get some pitting in the welds? if so then those are rust points and will eventually weaken the weld more. if you're unsure and if you think you will ever need them for something, i would reweld em. think i'll get some hooks for mine and see about borrowing a welder one of these days. i really need em though, my truck fell off a 4x4 road and i had to build a ramp to get back up. woulda been able to winch off for safety on the mountain and possibly out if i had the front hooks.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
butch1581
Captain

What size is that "Bar" you bolted between the frame ends. I want to do the same thing, but use the 2500/3500 "Mopar" Tow hooks that bolt on.......no welding! Hopefully I can make them work. I just need to make a bar across like you did. What are the dimensions? Looks good though.

wouldnt these just bolt onto the end of the frame where you bolted your bar? Looks like you could just drill holes and bolt them on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by butch1581; 07-02-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Nahh, usem till one breaks off!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

You got me thinkin' I have access to an Omax water jet machine and a sweet ace Miller wire machine here at work. I might be able to make something like that for my truck,hmmmm...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

SWEET!!!. Damn welds look good man. I can almost get my mig welds to look like that. But not quite as nice. I splatter alot. Well, thats with flux core. Little better with copper wire.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:27 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by butch1581
What size is that "Bar" you bolted between the frame ends. I want to do the same thing, but use the 2500/3500 "Mopar" Tow hooks that bolt on.......no welding! Hopefully I can make them work. I just need to make a bar across like you did. What are the dimensions? Looks good though.

wouldnt these just bolt onto the end of the frame where you bolted your bar? Looks like you could just drill holes and bolt them on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories

The bar was 1/2 inch thick, 4 inches wide, and about 41 inches long. I read that the 1500 needs the bar between the hooks because the frame isnt rigid enough where they bolt on. And those hooks are sweet, but they bumped their freakin head on the price! mine are pretty much the same thing, but they dont have the little stud in the middle... and mine were $8 a piece. It would probably cheaper to get some d-rings and have someone weld them on if you dont have access to a welder.
but those hooks would look sweet...

and thanks for the comments on the welds, it makes me feel a lot better... maybe i should look into a welding career... haha

Quick Reply: Homemade Tow Hooks... DONE. (with pics)