3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Homemade Tow Hooks... DONE. (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Dire Wolf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
I will probably never use these things, but if I do, hopefully they hold. And if not, at least they wont come flying at me!!!!
LMAO, That was great!
Nice mod too, they look very good.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
regert
Professional

Where you located? Would you concider on making me one?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:03 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by regert
Where you located? Would you concider on making me one?

haha, im in wisconsin.... but with the cost of material, and my time, i think you would be better off buying one.
thanks tho

Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 PM
regert
Professional

LOL Nice job bud.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 PM
butch1581
Captain

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
The bar was 1/2 inch thick, 4 inches wide, and about 41 inches long. I read that the 1500 needs the bar between the hooks because the frame isnt rigid enough where they bolt on. And those hooks are sweet, but they bumped their freakin head on the price! mine are pretty much the same thing, but they dont have the little stud in the middle... and mine were $8 a piece. It would probably cheaper to get some d-rings and have someone weld them on if you dont have access to a welder.
but those hooks would look sweet...

and thanks for the comments on the welds, it makes me feel a lot better... maybe i should look into a welding career... haha
Thanks for the info......Anyone know if those measurements are close to what the factory "bar" style is on the 1500's? I think I am going to get those mopar hooks and bolth them on a Bar like you made. Just want to make sure its strong enough.....I want to use these things for sure....

I am near Appleton in Wisconsin.......where you at?

Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the welds. They look pretty damn good. Almost looks like you got your fire just a little too hot, but I don't think it would matter too much.
IF you did get some pitting in there, then yea, you need to pull them and redo them at some point. It's not an emergency type thing, but over time, and with you living up north where rust is always going to be an issue, then over time the rust will eat the welds off.

But, in an attempt to congratulate you, those welds would be passed if your were trying to get certified.
I skipped a lot of reading, did you ARC or MIG? Almost looks like arc with a 7013 rod, but it could be MIG too... Hmm, might have to read.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Cheapbeater, those hooks look pretty good. You did a pretty fair job with the welding, especially if you used one of those POS 110-volt flux core MIG boxes. I wouldn't try pulling any stumps with those hooks.

I was a welder in a past life. There is nothing wrong with flux core MIG welding in general, but you need the right equipment. If I was going to weld tow hooks to a 1/2" plate, I would normally use the SMAW (stick) process, with a 5/32" 7018 low hydrogen rod and DC reverse polarity. When joining mild steel to mild steel, if you do it properly the weld will be stronger than the ajoining material.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:56 PM
butch1581
Captain

If someone could measure their "bar style" hooks for me that would be sweet. (Length, width and thickness of the Bar part) Thanks

Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM
blue07sport
Amateur

I have a question about the weld on D rings; Where did you find them, what size are they (diameter of the steel, width of the ring and depth) and last how much did they cost.

i was also wondeirng if you have had to use them yet? i plan on making a set, i like the weld on D ring idea, and i expect to have to use them at some point luckily i have a college degree in welding lol. thanks for your time!!

Last edited by blue07sport; 10-12-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the rings from fleet farm. i'm not sure what size they are, but they are rated for 10000 lbs and are about the diameter of my pinkie finger... maybe a wee bigger.
i used one to pull a yamaha rhino out of a mud hole, and it held just fine... if you have a welding degree you should be fine, i'm asuming you have access to a little better/ heavier duty welder than i did

Quick Reply: Homemade Tow Hooks... DONE. (with pics)