3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheel well rust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem on both my wheel wells. The frame and most of body very clean but that area not.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:20 PM
DodgEclectic
Amateur

isn't there a plasti dip liner type of thing you can use? like rino liner or something else...? i dont have problems with salt out here in CA but it may not hurt to know all this, just in case.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:52 PM
boxerguy84
Rookie
Default 2003 1500

I have an '03 1500 4x4 short bed regular cab and my driver side rear fender has the same bubbling/rust issue as everyone else. I even grinded them off and used rust reversal chemical on them, then primed and painted it myself and they just came back worse. This truck is an off-road machine but believe me I have never had my truck in the mud. I've heard this is a problem from factory, something like they didn't apply enough primer what not. But I think Chrysler Dodge needs to step up about the issue... it's a shame such a good truck turns to rust so quickly.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Kize

Just got on this forum as I had a gal back into my 08' Dodge Ram Quad Cab. I took down to the shop to have the passenger bedside replaced. The shop called me yesterday stating my truck was finished, he said I better come down and look at the inside of the bedside. I came by today to pick up truck and look at inside of bed panel. It is rusted, not all the way through but shocking none the less. My truck has 30K miles on it, I bought brand new and has only sat outside the garge 1-2 nights in the last 3 years.

I will photos and attach soon

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kize
Just got on this forum as I had a gal back into my 08' Dodge Ram Quad Cab. I took down to the shop to have the passenger bedside replaced. The shop called me yesterday stating my truck was finished, he said I better come down and look at the inside of the bedside. I came by today to pick up truck and look at inside of bed panel. It is rusted, not all the way through but shocking none the less. My truck has 30K miles on it, I bought brand new and has only sat outside the garge 1-2 nights in the last 3 years.

I will photos and attach soon
What state do you live in?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My guess is a salt state, that's a terrible place for salt/slush to collect and start to eat away at the body. All trucks suffer from this in the exact same place to some degree. I had a Jeep J10 pickup that got eaten alive and it started in the same spot. I ended up with a plywood bed I made and coated with polyurethane to get me by. It's imperative that you wash the salt/spray off your truck and MAKE SURE you get up into the upper tire well area THOROUGHLY!

A great investment is the Mopar well liners as they will keep the crap from getting up into this delicate area. A very cheap insurance policy for under $150 a pair...

I would own a pair myself even though salt isn't an issue where I am in Georgia & Florida but I'd have to hack the sh*t out of them to fit them around my air bags...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-22-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ How did you know I was thinking that?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Kize

Im in Ks. They do throw down alot of salt in the winter. Im not a body man, but by looking even if I washed under there all the time it appears there is two layers of metal which some 1" holes every 10" or so....dont know how I could get back in b/w the layers of metal in this area.

I have photos of the rust behind my well cover that was taken off, but cant get them onto my thread?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
^^^ How did you know I was thinking that?

Hammer knows all, 'Weed...

(and what I don't know, I make up) LMAO...

Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I would own a pair myself even though salt isn't an issue where I am in Georgia & Florida but I'd have to hack the sh*t out of them to fit them around my air bags...
Damn, I didn't even think about the air bags getting in the way. I've been wanting to buy those liners, but just installed air bags a few months ago

Quick Reply: Wheel well rust.