3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheel well rust.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
98dakota39
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got a 98 dakota that has some rust near the bottom of the rear fenders towards the back and was wondering how much it might cost to have this fixed at a body shop? and also is there any type of patch i could buy to fix by myself?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM
MegatronOrDie

I just did mine on my 02.. The dodge rot is infamous, especially in the rear wheel wells. If you have a welder or a buddy that does (and can properly use it) it's actually a pretty easy fix. Just order the panels, which you can find for about 80 bucks a pop, mark the panels out and take a grinder to the bad area. Sand and fade the outlining into the current paint ( so you can match the pain easier) and then weld the panels in. Throws some bed liner behind it and then grind the bondo the welds. Take it to a paint shop and they'll paint the panels at a very reasonable price. Good luck on whatever route you go.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 AM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

May I chime in here, and make a suggestion? For those afraid of getting the rot/rust or if your just showing minimal signs.
I myself dont have the issue but i wash the truck often and throw some distilled water in a water bottle and rinse the inner side of (Live in New England the chemicals in winter are horrid) anyways soon as it gets warmer or I get time to use a buddys garage for a day coat the fenders inside and hell go for the frame too to be safe with a product called POR15
stops corrosion dead in its tracks, awesome stuff, used as a makeshift bedliner in a 61 ford econoline to stop the rust till we were able to get to the bed of it in the restor process (wanted to keep as much metal as possible original).

It is sensitive to UV light if its going to be in the sun and requires a top coat.
Bet those fenders wont rot after that. Soon as I get mine done I will be making a vid/diy and make a contribution finally to the board

Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

Originally Posted by teamwerk
I cannot describe how angry I am that dodge will not back the rust problem on my otherwise fantastic truck. I have had the truck for one year and last August received $18,000.00 worth of hail damage to the vehicle. While in the body shop for repairs the bubbling paint on my drivers side wheel well was noted. The bodyshop owner figured this should be covered by warranty with Dodge and advised me to contact them. This is the ONLY piece of metal that was NOT being replaced due to the hail damage. After contacting Dodge I was indeed told that if the metal was perforated by the rust they would cover it. Pictures were taken, we could not drive the vehicle into Dodge for inspection becasue it was literlly in pieces with the other repair work. They would have preferred to see the vehicle but would NOT come to our body shop to inspect. Becasue they could not see what was under the paint bubbles the body shop repairman used an air compressor on the bubble which exposed the rust problem underneath. The metal was indeed perforated, and other rust and bubbles had started in other areas. After waiting for 2 weeks and paying for a rental during this time, they simply decide they will NOT cover it.
I have just ordered lettering for my truck box saying, "See how Dodge warranties their products."
Childish?? Maybe, but when will these big corporations start backing the product that they literally charge thousands for? I travel hundreds of miles yearly to rodeos, many of which Dodge sponsors, and I'll be more than happy to leave my vehicle parked where this signage can be read.There is NO reason why a truck of 4 years old should be rusted through.
Do you really think with all of the Caravan Front strut towers that are rotted thru creating a giant safety hazard on the freeways of the rust belt, and no recall for an obvious SAFETY issue, that they are really going to do anything with your wheel wells? Stupid caps that I had to install myself, because the repair would have cost more than the van is worth.

So, did they change something in the bed design for 05? The reason I ask, is I DO NOT ever wash my truck, live in WI, and have absolutely NO rust on the rear wheel wells. In fact, the only rust I have is where there is body damage.

Last edited by me0418840987; 01-06-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 AM
That1guy
Veteran

My 02 is bubbling on both sides. I would like to do the bed sides myself, but have only seen patch panels, not the whole bedside.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

My tailgate has started rusting and bubbling before the wheel wells. There is a lip on the back side at bottom that soaks in moisture. At least tail gates are not too expensive....

Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

Name:  photobucket-5893-1326162024611-1-1.jpg
Views: 7573
Size:  17.4 KB

I just added Bushwacker fender flares. Don't like the rust but I haven't owned it since new so not alot I can do about the rust. I've done the best I can at trying to prevent it.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
My tailgate has started rusting and bubbling before the wheel wells. There is a lip on the back side at bottom that soaks in moisture. At least tail gates are not too expensive....
My gate has started rusting as well, I just thought it was because I have all the paint chipped off of it from things getting caught when it gets opened and closed. I have rust on the driver side door bottom directly under where the door is creased from parking lot damage.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of repairing my left fender in side seam on wheel well, mid level to drivers door, ugly rust issue and my drivers door rear bottom is rusted threw.... I have tried to keep on the rust inside booth door seams ...

Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

Yeah...I have those wonderful plastic fender liners on my truck and both wheel wells are now rusting. Turns out salt and grime can get past them. What they do is prevent you from getting your power washer wand up there to wash the crap out! Thats just helps the rust (which it doesn't need any) Very poorly designed fenders.

Quick Reply: Wheel well rust.