3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Miles per gallon- What are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:15 AM
1987notchback
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.7 3:93 reg cab 4x4 89 octane 14.5 on the lieometer oh yeah 20" rims stock tire size

Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM
AZZO540
Veteran

i get 14-15 with full exhaust and intake.on my 07 hemi 4x4 on 3.55's

Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
technoid

Originally Posted by casper
As the title says, what is your MPG, your motor and any suggestions for a better MPG.
I solved my poor milege problem with my 2002 1500 ram truck. Traded the gas guzler in for a 2011 Ford F150 ecoboost V6. 396 hp Dual turbo motor. Puts the Dodge to shame. It gets 25 mpg highway and 17 city. And when you need the power its there! Better tow and load capacity. SORRY DODGE LOVERS. But I have had enough of that fuel wasting gas powered Dodge truck. Not to mention that piece of crap of a tranny it had. But to make you all feel better I still have my 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins turbo diesel truck. I won't part with that one.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by technoid
I solved my poor milege problem with my 2002 1500 ram truck. Traded the gas guzler in for a 2011 Ford F150 ecoboost V6. 396 hp Dual turbo motor. Puts the Dodge to shame. It gets 25 mpg highway and 17 city. And when you need the power its there! Better tow and load capacity. SORRY DODGE LOVERS. But I have had enough of that fuel wasting gas powered Dodge truck. Not to mention that piece of crap of a tranny it had. But to make you all feel better I still have my 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins turbo diesel truck. I won't part with that one.

Good luck with that one. Not damning the Ford or the Eco-boost, IF it works as advertised AND proves to be reliable, the new technology will have everybody else scrambling for a comparable engine, but I personally wouldn't touch a new engine with so many new enhancements till it's been out a couple of years. I know a few people had really bad LEMON 5.4 Tritons in the first couple years it came out - I was one of them, dropped a piston with 14k miles on it!

Dealers in my area are taking orders on the EcoBoost F150s as there are very few on lots and charging $5000 OVER full sticker for some crazy "adjusted market value/high demand" surcharge!!!

You should see a HUGE boost in fuel economy if your '02 was a 5.9, after all, it was designed in the late '60s...

And don't feel too bad Dodge Boys, I played golf in my friday league today with a guy owns an '07 Nissan Titan, bought it new and was complaining it gets 11-12 mpg and it's a stock 4x2, sad thing is he commutes to/from Orlando five days a week and 75% of his driving is strictly highway. It ain't just us...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-20-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:37 PM
MrIcky
Amateur

I've been curious about the eco-boost and I've been following their boards and there is a lot of complaining that they aren't coming close to advertised mpg. I think the 25 mpg claim may be overstated for our benefit.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 AM
technoid

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Good luck with that one. Not damning the Ford or the Eco-boost, IF it works as advertised AND proves to be reliable, the new technology will have everybody else scrambling for a comparable engine, but I personally wouldn't touch a new engine with so many new enhancements till it's been out a couple of years. I know a few people had really bad LEMON 5.4 Tritons in the first couple years it came out - I was one of them, dropped a piston with 14k miles on it!

Dealers in my area are taking orders on the EcoBoost F150s as there are very few on lots and charging $5000 OVER full sticker for some crazy "adjusted market value/high demand" surcharge!!!

You should see a HUGE boost in fuel economy if your '02 was a 5.9, after all, it was designed in the late '60s...

And don't feel too bad Dodge Boys, I played golf in my friday league today with a guy owns an '07 Nissan Titan, bought it new and was complaining it gets 11-12 mpg and it's a stock 4x2, sad thing is he commutes to/from Orlando five days a week and 75% of his driving is strictly highway. It ain't just us...
I felt the same way at one time about buying another Ford. I had an Explorer back in 1995. It was nothing but head aches. But since then I did some home work on the Ecoboost. Its been test proven over the last 10 yrs before entering the mass production. There is no turbo lag when you punch it. It feels like a rocket launch. Your up to 90 mph in a blink of an eye. The power is incredable. And so is the economy when you drive easy. I am Very happy with it. My dealer has a life time warranty on engine and drive train. His dealership is the only one that does this for their customers. And I did not pay $5000 over the list price. In fact, they gave me a discount along with the $1,500 rebate. Also an excellent trade-in price for my old 02 Dodge. And Ford did not take Obama's stimulus money to stay in business. That for me was another plus.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:02 PM
technoid

Originally Posted by MrIcky
I've been curious about the eco-boost and I've been following their boards and there is a lot of complaining that they aren't coming close to advertised mpg. I think the 25 mpg claim may be overstated for our benefit.
Mine has hit 23 mpg hwy so far. Its only got 900 miles on the motor so its still breaking in. I have been told by the service dept that I should see the full hwy and city mpg after 2000 miles. I am well above the 17 city and 21 hwy mpg window sticker that came with the truck. And its all how you drive it. I let mine build up to speed with steady gas pedal presure. No heavy footing. Shifting to 6th gear comes in sooner with a light foot. As a comparison to my old 02 Dodge...At 40mph climbing a 20% grade the Dodge RPM was 2000. The Ford on the same grade 1100 RPM. Lock-up stays in on the Ford while the Dodge would drop out. I had tried just about everything to make that Dodge tranny stay in lock-up longer. Even buying the SCT flash programmer for the Dodge. I am very happy with this Ford.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Originally Posted by technoid
Mine has hit 23 mpg hwy so far. Its only got 900 miles on the motor so its still breaking in. I have been told by the service dept that I should see the full hwy and city mpg after 2000 miles. I am well above the 17 city and 21 hwy mpg window sticker that came with the truck. And its all how you drive it. I let mine build up to speed with steady gas pedal presure. No heavy footing. Shifting to 6th gear comes in sooner with a light foot. As a comparison to my old 02 Dodge...At 40mph climbing a 20% grade the Dodge RPM was 2000. The Ford on the same grade 1100 RPM. Lock-up stays in on the Ford while the Dodge would drop out. I had tried just about everything to make that Dodge tranny stay in lock-up longer. Even buying the SCT flash programmer for the Dodge. I am very happy with this Ford.
As you should be. Comparing a 10 year old 02 Ram with a brand new F150 with all new technology and twin turbos is a fine example of comparing apples and pogo sticks. In other words, there is no comparison. Enjoy that truck, I am sure it is nice.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

"My buddy just drove his new ford f150 to florida from alabama about 400 miles and only averaged 11 mpg while towing a small trailer with two harleys on it. that sucks in more ways than one. a few years back I had towed a ford crown victoria on a trailer 200 miles with my dodge 1500 and got 18 plus mpg. what i'm saying is where the hell is the eco in fords eco-boost?" -F150forum

I thought that this post was relevant to this thread. Not to add fuel to the fire, but interesting to see some real world mpg's when using a truck for what it's intended ie. towing/hauling. In all fairness, I don't believe the guy with the Dodge REALLY saw 18mpg towing a crown vic, but still

Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM
04_ramslt
Professional

My wifes 2010 ford super crew with the 4.6l got better gas mileage towing my Honda then I did in my 04 QC with a 4.7 did towing nothing. I doubt my 34.5 tires made that big a difference. Its hard to beat the new 3 valve coupled with their 6 speed tranny

Quick Reply: Miles per gallon- What are you getting?