3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opinions and experiences with 4x4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions and experiences with 4x4 tires

So it is nearing time for new tires on my truck...and after "striking out" twice in a row, I'd like some opinions and experiences from everyone. I'll start by telling my experiences...My truck rode like a Cadillac with the stock tires. Since this was my first V8, and first vehicle that could smoke tires in 5 years when I got it, I was still pretty young so the rear tires didn't last long. Since I didn't have much money after the truck payment, I looked into used tires until I could save up. I ended up with Goodyear Wrangler 305/70 basically offroad tire; I can't remember the exact model, but they were a very aggressive tread. Anyway, it got a side wall puncture thanks to my careless friend (no longer friends for many reasons) And I still didn't have the money but the tire shop happened to have a set of Goodyear Wrangler 285/70 onroad/offroad tires for real cheap...barely used. It didn't take long to figure out why the previous customer switched them out. The ride sucked, but I needed them so I dealt with it. To this day I regret it, but couldn't do much about it. Honestly though, the ride was better with the off road tires than the onroad/offroad. And part of the reason the off road tires seemed rough is the plys were seperating on on tire, and STILL road better. I've never much cared for Goodyear products for no real reason...but I have reasons now. Anyway, I don't want to make another mistake getting crap tires that ride like a tractor. Now I don't really expect the ride as when the truck was new with the stock tires...because I want a tire that will fill up the wheel wells, and have a semi aggressive tread that will get me out of the mud I may encounter...not like mud bogs or anything, I am building a mudder toy...but like on a construction site or farm field, or hunting grounds. And I don't want to listen to the whining/humming at highway speeds, and I want a somewhat smooth ride...basically I don't want the truck to fly up in the air when hitting pot holes (like it does now)

Anyway, lemme know what you have (or had) and how they may correlate to what I am looking for. BTW I have the 17" rims if that has much affect. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You in Advance,
Eric

Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my bridgestone dueler A/T revo's were awesome and real quiet on the road.. my new summit mud dawgs are awesome but hum a lil on the highway but not anything like a bogger...
i highly reccomend the bridgestones for a non-M/T tire

Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imo my toyo mts are quite street friendly and not too loud on the highway for an mt, but it all depends on what you consider loud, an all terrain is probably your best choice, I know my moms toyo at's hum pretty bad... so I would almost suggest a nitto terra grappler...

Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 AM
PETE_YK
Professional

My Toyo open country A/Ts have a hum to them as well...no idea why, cuz they arent a very aggressive tire when you consider what some guys are rollin on their trucks these days

Toyo A/T or Nitto equivalent both highly recomended in my book as well as many friends!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Prime candidate for Terra Grapps, great performance on wet and dry pavement, decent off road as long as it ain't too soupy and VERY quiet, especially for a fairly aggressive A/T tire.

The set on my Grand Cherokee (265/65/17s) were under $125 each and are barely louder than the soccer mom tires that they replaced...BFG Traction T/A, good wearing tire, great gas mileage, but forget off-road. 5 plugs in 2 years!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:50 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Offroad tires are NEVER going to be smooth like street tires. And they will never be quiet on the freeway either.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 AM
PhillyFireLieutenant
Professional

true--a lil noisy they are,, but worth it.

Name:  megacab.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  91.4 KB

Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I like my Terra's so far. Haven't had them off road yet but very smooth ride and quieter than the stocks I took off.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

I guess the biggest thing I mean by smooth ride is there are a few spots on the roads around here that have some decent size pot holes some of which are unavoidable. With the tires I have now, hitting these bumps at 55 makes the rear end fly up in the air and slide over about 4 inches or more. Almost feels like I'm gonna lose control...truck never did that with the stock tires hitting at almost 70...So I am looking to solve that issue is what I mean by a smooth riding tire.

As far as road noise...I may not be real clear on either. I'm not gonna cry if it makes some noise...I just hate the sound of a Jeep coming down the road that I can hear almost a mile before he passes my house...I can't imagine what it would sound like in the truck with that kind of tire. Don't get me wrong I'm all for mudding and what not, but I am building a 86 RCSB to be my toy...I need this truck for a driver, so I am looking to minimize annoyances. Now, I am looking to upgrade my exhaust before I get tires, and I ALWAYS have the radio on and usually kinda loud (for stock receiver...Infinity Kappa 6x9's in front and rear) So with these two things, will out help drown out a lot of the tire noise...as long as they aren't super aggressive.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

I have nitto terra grappler 305/70/17 that will fit perfect. Sounds like you want a all terrian tire. The bouncing you are describing can also be fixed by new shocks and weight in the bed. The weight will make the most difference.

Quick Reply: Opinions and experiences with 4x4 tires