3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Squeaking and Ticking Sound from Rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 AM
jmdarville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking and Ticking Sound from Rear

Question for the masses. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab with the 4.7L and 100,900 on it. Lately I will hear a small squeak coming from the rear of the truck when going slow in reverse. Then in drive upon takeoff there will be a ticking sound like metal rubbing or hitting something coming from the rear as well.

After doing some research, read that it could possibly be the u-joints either front or back. Well I checked them out today and they were both tight and had no play. Could the u-joint still be bad even if there is no movement?

I notice the noise after the truck has been sitting for a long time and a cold start. Doesn't do it when the truck is hot.

Any other possible ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
James

Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would take a can or penetrating oil and spray one or two things at a time and try driving it and see if that helps. If not then spray something else and try it again. I would do this until I find what it is or rule everything out.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
jmdarville

Thanks for your thoughts. I will definitely try that this weekend and see what happens.

Going to service the rear diff this weekend so hope that goes smoothly and no problems there.

Thanks again.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 PM
jmdarville

This past weekend didn't service the differential because couldn't find 75/140 gear oil anywhere after 6 different stops. Was able to find it yesterday after work so will be servicing the rear this upcoming weekend.

As for the squeaks and ticking, its resolved. It got really bad on Friday of last week and stil ujoints seemed tight. Bought them and since I hadn't done them before and my dad doesn't have a vise, took it to our local shop. they replaced the front and rear ujoint and noises are completely gone. Also the vibration in the drivetrain is gone as well.

Thanks for the help! Like I said before, the ujoints were tight but still were pretty much shot when removed.

Quick Reply: Squeaking and Ticking Sound from Rear