3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Autotheft Protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Deroneill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotheft Protection

My truck was recently stolen and I find that it's pretty common amongst us dodge owners here in TX. I got lucky this time around when all they did was take it for a joy ride. They took nothing off of it just a few personal things. But I would just like to know if there is any suggestions on how I can protect my truck from being stolen again such as mods. Maybe a kill switch shaved door handles a metal steering column maybe do something about the sliding rear window?? I don't know something more that will keep thieves out of my truck

Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can install Jimmy Jammers which stop theives from using a screwdriver alongside the door handle to open up the doors. I would also reccomend having an Alarm/starter combo installed which will help to deter some as well.
You could install a starter kill switch, but you'll need to touch it EVERYTIME you start your truck. Go with an alarm/starter combo that CUTS the starter wire. using t-taps doesn't cut power to that circuit, only cutting the wire does. It's all stuff Technicians should know what to do.

You could also have lo-jack installed. You'll get an additional insurance reduction for that. Not sure what your insurance would give for an alarm combo installed by a shop. Mine gives 10% standard, but not in addition to passive anti-theft which comes stock. They pro-rate the % I believe???

Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First question I have to ask is how did they get in and steal it the first time? I would start with resolving those security issues. Parking is somewhere you shouldnt? Time to move it? No alarm on it? Time to get one. Used a screw driver under the door handle? Time to get Jimmy Jammer plates (google them).

[EDIT]

Dirty, I posted and looked up and there was your post. Youre moving pretty quick today there buddy.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Deroneill
Rookie

Yea i did park it. But i just didnt expect it to get stolen from that spot. Its not somewhere i park it all the time i was at a football game. I saw no sign of how they got in it and im sure i locked it i always check to make sure its locked. alarms i believe are just a waste of money. im thinking more like a kill switch or something. I will have to look into those jimmy jammers too

Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Good ole steering wheel club (i use two) should hopefully provide some "deterrent" or at least enough for them move on to another vehicle.
Mine has been attempted a few times over the years. (driver handle was jimmied one time. Another time the passenger handle was ripped off and on the ground). Amazing that nothing was taken and the truck was still there.
At the time i only had the factory alarm and the use of two steering wheel clubs.

Now i still use the steering wheel clubs but have since shaved my doors and added a Viper 5902 Alarm.

All break in attempts were done in public and not at home.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 PM
traker1001
Captain

I showed a friend once how it takes less than 10 seconds to remove the steering wheel club. I plan on shaving the handles, Making some jimmy jammers, Installing a nice alarm (Looking at one of those Vipers with video.), Then just for the OverKill I plan on either a starter kill or a fuel pump cutoff switch and not just relay cutoff which is easy to bypass.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Yeah but it's still a good deterrent. I have thought of leaving the column shift lever when i finish the B&M shifter. That should confuse them more lol.

If you want a cheap real time surveillance option i would look into a cheap baby monitor or walkie talkie. Keep one in the truck and leave the push to talk button pressed. Carry the other one with you.

Last edited by SLT8; 09-15-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:45 AM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by kay9
I have thought of leaving the column shift lever when i finish the B&M shifter. That should confuse them more lol.
I would love to watch that one unfold. Specially if there were something laying over the new shifter so it wasn't directly obvious. I can hear it now, "Awe Crap, of all the trucks out there I have to try and the one with bad tranny!" lol.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
pitbull24
Veteran

Can anybody recommend a decent remote start/alarm? My last few toys(motorcycles & mustangs) have been stored in my alarmed garage. My truck will not fit, so I am in the market for security. I'm not to keen on Best Buy charging $400 to install, but seems like Viper is popular? What about Clifford?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Viper and Clifford are made by the same company. I have a Clifford 50.7x which is the same as the Viper 5091 or 5902

Quick Reply: Autotheft Protection