3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

A quick ? and a big Thanks to the DF members!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM
garider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking A quick ? and a big Thanks to the DF members!

I purchased my truck used with approx. 70K on it. It has the Hemi. I did not know if the Throttle body had ever been cleaned, so I started searching. Of course there are several very helpful threads on the subject with photos - as usual. I just wanted to say THANKS for all you guys do. Taking the time to post photos and typing up descriptive how-to's. I am a bit of a "Shutter-bug" myself, but I figured posting more pics of the same thing would be like beating a dead horse. It was as dirty as any of the photos from other members on the back side. The front side was fairly clean. I did have to use a piece of plastic to "help" remove the carbon from the edges of the butterfly. The TB cleaner wouldn't break it down and soften it enough for a tooth brush to be able to remove it. My guess would be that the edges of the butterfly and pivot points would be the more important parts to be sure and clean completely. When I finished, both side were as clean as a new throttle body.

This was an extremely easy and quick job to perform.

My quick question is, are there any other items under the hood that can/will effect performance or mileage that I could check that may need cleaning or taking a look at, under the hood? I know that the EGR probably has some carbed crust, but I'm not sure that cleaning up would give any positive results other than just knowing that it is now clean.

Also, with all of the CAI threads, I just can't continue to sit back and do nothing, so I guess I'll give in and build the DIY 3" "schedule 40" model.

Last edited by garider; 09-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Another thing you may want to look into is changing the plugs out.

You have a good lookin' truck bud. Love the two tone.

The homebrew CAI is easy and it of course costs a hellova lot cheaper than SOME of the ones you can buy.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The EGR doesn't really respond well to cleaning. I've found that if the EGR is bad enough to pop a CEL, then cleaning either won't get rid of the CEL or if it does it will be back in a short time. IMO the EGR should be changed out at around 40k miles whether it's popping a CEL or not. It will be bad enough to negatively effect MPGs at that point to justify the $35-40 it costs at most auto parts stores.

It's also the main reason the back of the TB gets so bad as the EGR dumps crud right behind it. STUPID EMISSIONS CRAP!!! Over half the "issues" with these truck and especially diesels these days have to do with emission crap on them failing or just being designed poorly...

Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 PM
black shadow
Veteran

amen to that hammer

Quick Reply: A quick ? and a big Thanks to the DF members!