3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

02 4.7 ram swap to newer engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 PM
EvlKenevl
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 4.7 ram swap to newer engine

250,000km plus on my motor and the head or gasket is leaking from cylinder to water jacket. So I'm trying to find another engine, because this one is tired.
$2000 is going rate in Ontario Canada, because its an 02 and only an 02 engine will work.
My question is what is the difference of my 02 and a newer 4.7?
I'd search this out, but my computer is down and I'm using my blackberry

Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

If it would work, go with an 08 4.7 or newer, I believe that is the year they started with the better intake manifold. Or if you have to go with and early year then the 08 you could swap out and upgrade with the 08 or newer intake. Not much of a help but something to look into.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 PM
EvlKenevl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
If it would work, go with an 08 4.7 or newer, I believe that is the year they started with the better intake manifold. Or if you have to go with and early year then the 08 you could swap out and upgrade with the 08 or newer intake. Not much of a help but something to look into.
Thanx for the reply Mullet. I do appreciate it. I am thinking of the 08 intake, but I need a motor first.
I've found lots of info on these motors on this forum.
One thing I haven't found is someone actually helping me with my questions.

People will reply on the stupidest questions that people ask and I do learn stuff from that stuff.

Where am I going wrong asking my questions that are never answered?
I'm using my blackberry and can't afford the time to search, so please can someone answer my QUESTION!!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

02-08 4.7 will work if you get the computers
if your gonna do the swap might as well drop the hemi in more power with same or better mpg

Last edited by Marx; 09-22-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
whipkeysd
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the difference is the heads and intake. I would think that any year 4.7 should work other than the Flex Fuel models but maybe they would too. Your best bet would be reman or have yours rebuilt so you know you'll have a good motor that will get you many more miles as well as help with the resale of your truck down the line. I don't really like the idea of buying used engines but I guess alot of people have good luck with them.

Quick Reply: 02 4.7 ram swap to newer engine